Cooksessentials re:curry recipes

nauru, Jun 9, 10:54am
Cooksessentials quoted:
I do a lovely pumpkin,aubergine and chickpea curry which is very quick and tasty. I actually prefer canellini beans, so often swap the chick peas for those. it does use 1x sachet of either Pataks or Aisian Gourmet Tikka Masala Paste ( which ever is the more reasonably priced at the time LOL
I also do another one with baby gourmet potatoes, pumpkin, cauliflower and canellini beans using the same paste- this one would be my favourite and is great for winter time.

These two dishes sound good, did you post the recipes in the vegetarian thread! I haven't read through the whole thread as yet.If not, would you please, thanks!Like yourself, we are not vegetarian but do enjoy non meat dishes on a regular basis.

hott-mama, Jun 9, 10:59am
yum .

they both sound fantastic .

I'd be interested too .

thanks .

cookessentials, Jun 9, 10:24pm
Hi nauru, no, i dont think I put them on there but can certainly share them with you.

cookessentials, Jun 9, 10:28pm
Here is one of them that I found on here which I added in May.

This is a quick “throw it together” meal that you can have on the table in well under an hour. It’s hearty and very warming on these chillier nights. I often substitute the chickpeas for cannellini beans as I prefer them, but use which suits you best. The tikka masala pastes are both good ones and they have natural ingredients and no MSG.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large aubergine (eggplant) cut into big cubes
600g of crown pumpkin, peeled and cubed
1x sachet of either Patak’s or Asian Home Gourmet tikka masala paste
1x can of chickpeas or cannellini beans.

Canned chickpeas or cannellini beans are so much quicker than using dried which you have to soak for ever.

In a colander, place the aubergine and salt generously. This takes out any bitterness but also helps the aubergine soaking up too much oil. Let it drain in the sink for 30 mins. While aubergine is draining, chop onion and prepare pumpkin. The quickest way to prepare your pumpkin and also speed up your cooking time is to place large pieces, with the skin on, into an oven proof dish, add ½ cup of water and cover with cling film. Microwave about 6-7 minutes until just tender.
Rinse aubergine well under cold running water and drain well on kitchen paper or a clean tea-towel. Make sure you give them a good squeeze to remove excess water. Heat oil and sauté the onion until the onion is lightly browned. Add the eggplant to the onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown in colour.
Remove skin off cooked pumpkin with a knife and reserve the juices in the dish.
Add cooked pumpkin, juices and tikka masala paste and stir through. Add 1x drained and rinsed can of chick peas or cannellini beans which I prefer and stir through until well heated through. Serves four.
Eggplant has a host of vitamins and is a great source of fibre. Pumpkins are low in calories and rich in potassium. Chickpeas are full of added fibre and other nutrients like folate.

nauru, Jun 10, 6:36am
Thank you Cookessentials, I will definitely make this one as we both love Eggplant in any shape or form. I use Chickpeas a lot but have never tried Cannellini beans in anything other than soups.Also love the idea of "throw it together".

cookessentials, Jun 10, 8:42am
You are most welcome. We love aubergines too. We have grown them a couple of times too. We also love them sliced thickly, brushed with olive oil and grilleed on the bbq.

hott-mama, Jun 11, 7:29am
thanks cookessentials .

definately going to give it a go .