Bread with stoneground flour

andree3, Jun 13, 7:50am
hi can any one give me a recipe for bread rolls with stoneground flour! if i want to my 5 yr old to eat them can i up the ratio of white flour to stoneground so they aren't too dense!where is the best place to buy stoneground flour! apologies for a posting (almost) solely of questions!

buzzy110, Jun 13, 8:12am
Questions are good. You don't say where in NZ you live. In Auckland we can buy stone ground flour from some Pack-n-Saves and New Worlds. I don't know about Countdown but probably there as well. They are in the flour section. Ceres is the brand.

It is usual to have white flour with wholemeal flour, stoneground or not. Others may say they just use pure wholemeal and that it is great but really it isn't. It will be heavy and not well risen because of the action of the bran on the gluten. You can buy white stoneground flour.

On-line Chantals is the best place to go looking. If you live in Auckland then Ceres, Whole Harvest or Huckleberry Farms will have a full range. Some supermarkets stock it but only the higher selling lines. I can't get s/g wholemeal from my P-n-S. Don't know about out of Auckland.

Use a recipe to make your bread. It will have the correct ratios of white to wholemeal.

raewyn64, Jun 13, 8:26am
That is really interesting to know. I got some stoneground flour from Simlpi foods (ex Bin Inn) and I put it in my breadmaker but the loaf was quite flat.Now I know where I went wrong -thanks for that :)

andree3, Jun 13, 8:27am
hi thanks for your comments. i live in christchurch and can't get stone ground flour at our local pak and save hence the question. will check out countdownandlocal health food stores (only piko whole foods come to mind). am def keen on a recipe ( i am generally a stickler for them!). cheers

beaker59, Jun 13, 11:35am
Binn Inn is where I have got it in the past. Not as easy as you might think online just had a look and the websites there aren;t very user friendly have you tried Biograin though even though they don't mention stone ground they do have organic and they are local to you.