#Left Over Rice Ideas'#

zambesi2, Jun 14, 3:16am
Looking for some innovative ideas' on how to use up left over cooked rice!Show me your best recipes please!

petal1955, Jun 14, 3:18am
RICE, TOMATO & BACON BAKE

3 CUPS OF COOKEDRICE(THATS 1 CUP UNCOOKED TO YIELD 3 CUPS COOKED)

6 BACON RASHERSCHOPPED

1 ONION FINELY CHOPPED

3 CHOPPED TOMATOES

250GRM TASTY CHEESE , GRATED

1 1/2 CUPS STALE BREADCRUMBS ( I USE DRIED)

3 TABLESPOONS CHOPPED PARSLEY

SALT & PEPPER

COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS AND PLACE IN A GREASED DISH.TOP WITH A LITTLE EXTRA GRATED CHEESE. BAKE UNCOVERED AT 400 F (200 C) FOR 30 MINUTES.LET STAND FOR 5MINS

zambesi2, Jun 14, 3:26am
Yummmy, thanx for that Petal.Sounds great.

geldof, Jun 14, 4:10am
Mix with egg and/or grated cheese and use instead of pastry on the bottom of a pie or quiche.
Pre cook before adding filling.

jessie981, Jun 14, 5:31am
sounds yum petal.Must try, can't imagine how rice would taste.
I freeze leftover or feed the birds (they love it)

coolnzmum, Jun 14, 5:34am
Put it in your freezer and use it as needed.

kylie.darren, Jun 14, 6:26am
I'm sure Ive been told tonever freeze cooked rice for some reason. cant remember why.

jessie981, Jun 14, 6:30am
I'm still here.

elliehen, Jun 14, 6:35am
You might be confusing it with being told never to leave it on the bench or languishing in the fridge.Freeze it, but don't keep it as back-of-the-fridge leftovers.

wizard10, Jun 14, 6:38am
I made a chicken and rice soup the other day, was absolutely delicious will find you the recipe

wizard10, Jun 14, 6:39am
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
4 fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
2 quarts chicken stock or broth (we use low sodium)
1 cup of water
1 cup long grain white rice
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
directions:
Place a soup pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Pour in the chicken broth and water- bring the liquid to a boil. Add in the rice and chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium-low until the rice is tender-about 30 minutes. Serve hot.

*Note-for the shredded chicken I used 2 large chicken breasts. I boiled a pot of water on the stove and added in the chicken-which I cut into large pieces. Boil the chicken until it is cooked all the way through and there is no pink left. This will take about 7 minutes or so. Drain the water and shred the chicken once it is cooled. I use 2 forks to shred the chicken. *

zambesi2, Jun 14, 7:22am
Thanx so much for the advice and recipes.Definitely will try the chicken + rice soup too!

happybaby, Jun 14, 8:04am
fast & easy - boil in twice as much water then simmer - becomes rice porridge - makes a hearty meal. Add julienne ginger & fish pieces (for fish porridge),drizzle soy sauce & sesame oil, spring onions/ fried shallots. Yum! Porridge will increase in bulk if u let the rice simmer longer - fantastic when u want to turn leftover portions twofold.
basically can put any ingredients u want : mince pork, eggs, veges, etc

kokopuff, Jun 14, 7:55pm
Sound Delish petal1955

kokopuff, Jun 14, 7:57pm
RICE PUDDING YUMMY

amazing_grace, Jun 14, 8:24pm
I make stir fries and put the rice in at the end with soy sauce, stir it all up and only heat till the rice is hot.

Or you can stuff tomatoes with rice,seeds, herbs, garlic and tomato puree, and roast them.

Roll it into golfball sized pieces and dip in soy sauce.japanese style.(can stuff them with pickles in the middle if you wish)

zambesi2, Jun 14, 8:53pm
Sounds like I need left over rice every week.These recipes are great.Keep em coming!

taurus2005, Jun 15, 2:51am
Heat a tbspoon of oil in pan, add chopped onion, handful of quick cooking what ever veges you have, mixed veges is nice, bit of salt, bit of grated ginger and garlic, bit of minced fresh or chilli powder, tsp of curry powder, add rice and heat thru.Garnish with fresh coriander if you have some.Cooked chicken added to this mixture is nice too.

sammie55, Jun 15, 3:40am
You can also add an egg to the rice,mix it well, add some herbs etc if you want, and press it into a dish and use it instead of a pastry shell.It is nice, and you can add anything at all to it and bake it.Eg Fish Pie, savory mince, quiche mix,your choice really.Happy cooking.

jag5, Jun 28, 3:55am
I make rice salad with it.add peas, corn.diced red onion, diced capsicum, grated carrot, cocktail tomatoes cut in half.anything you can think of really.feta cheese.so yummy for lunch.'

My young Indian Student Boarder loves it.he adds a bit of chilli sauce to make it yummy.

herself, Jun 28, 10:29pm
Freezing cooked rice is perfectly safe.Take a look in the freezer section at your supermarket.Heaps of frozen curries with rice dinners .I love a Thai Green Curry on a cold night when their is nothing in my fridge for dinner!