Glazing a cooked ham

nettie14, Jun 4, 2:24am
What is your favourite glazing for over your cooked ham!

molly37, Jun 4, 4:04am
I always usepineapple juice, brown sugar and a good tomato sauce.
Nice and thick paste poured over and basted while it cooks.
Search in the box to the right, i'm sure there are lots of different ideas around xmas time.

fisher, Jun 4, 4:29pm
Method OneHam is grilled
Peel or cut off the brown skin from a cooked ham. Remove as much of the fat as you like or all of it.
Either score through the fat, nearly to the meat, making diamond shapes, or if you have removed all fat, leave the surface unscored. Brush surface with a glaze .
Heat 1/2 cup brown sugar, with 1 cup orange or pineapple juice. Pour on ham.Pat on to it a mixture of equal parts of fine dry breadcrumbs and brown sugar.
Put the ham under the grill so that its upper surface is 15-20 cm away from the heat. Grill until the sugar bubbles and the surface becomes crunchy, turning the ham as necessary. Take care not to brush off the brown sugar-crumbed surface. Decorate with pineapple pieces and/or cherries on toothpicks, and/or cloves, and if desired brush again with glaze and brown under the grill again. Wrap knuckle end in a paper frill if you like.

fisher, Jun 4, 4:31pm
Method Two . Ham is baked only at 180c(NOT SWEET)
Peel or cut off the brown skin from a cooked ham. Remove as much of the fat as you like or all of it.
Either score through the fat, nearly to the meat, making diamond shapes, or if you have removed all fat, leave the surface un scored .
Much the same method. but using~2 x tbsp whole seed mustard.1/4 cup julienne or finely grated ginger.1 cup brown sugar.330mls dark beer . ( MUST BE DARK BEER).
Combine mustard ginger and sugar in a bowl with just enough beer to form a thick paste. Set aside.
Pour rest of beer over ham in roasting dish, bake for 40mins basting halfway through.
Now smear paste all over the ham and bake for 30mins more basting as required.

ayglepaygle, Jun 4, 8:46pm
I use a mix of apricot jam and wholegrain mustard.