Tips on how to make home-made yoghurt

smudge75, May 23, 4:36am
I want to give this a go. Im not using an easi yo maker. Would prefer to do it in the crock pot. Yes I know I can google it.but, I actually want to hear from people who have done it. Cheers

beaker59, May 23, 4:45am
do this about twice a week in my easy yo. Start with a tablesppon of natural yogurt(the Piako one is nice but it must be real live real yogurt) then fill container with ordinary milk shake well for a minute and then fill Maker with boiling water to the mark (I find higher than the mark is neccesary in winter for extra warmth) then leave in a warm place for 8 to 12 hours. Put finished yogurt into a seperate container and thouroughly clean easy yo container when yogurt starts running low add atablespoon of it to easy yo container top up with milk then repeat container etc etc if after a dozen batches it starts to go different then start a new strain with new live yogurt. Keep everything clean try not to contaminate yogurt in storage etc.

Very easy cheap and healthy.

harrislucinda, May 23, 4:47am
thinkcrockpotmaybetoohotto startwithaswillkillthelivebug
thereisarecipeusingmilkpowderhavemadethatisisyumm

beaker59, May 23, 5:03am
Have to agree Crockpot would get too hot surely.

If you haven't got an Easy yo then use a large jar and find a way of keeping it near 30-35 degrees for 8 hours some people use hotwater bottles in chilli bins or hot water cupboard and insulating towels etc.

245sam, May 23, 5:16am
Yoghurt can be made in the crock-pot - not that I have done so but I have just checked Joan Bishop's Crock-Pot book and note that she has a recipe/method in there for making yoghurt in the Crock-Pot.I use an Easiyo Yoghurt Maker hence the reason that I have not yet tried the Crock-Pot method.:-))

smudge75, May 23, 6:12am
Out of curiosity, does the crock pot stay on the whole time 245sam or just on to warm up! Thanks for all your tips tho people

245sam, May 23, 6:42am
smudge75, yes the Crock-Pot stays on the whole time.

From Joan Bishop's "The New Zealand Crockpot Cookbook"
YOGHURT
The addition of dried milk powder gives a firmer set and richer tasting yoghurt.Either non-fat or whole milk powder may be used.
600ml milk
4 tbsp dried milk powder
1-2 tbsp sugar (optional)
1-2 tbsp commercial yoghurt

Sterilise 2 coffee or jam jars (each 1½ cup capacity) with boiling water and allow to cool.
Bring the milk to boiling point and then cool to luke warm.Place the saucepan of milk into cold water to accelerate the cooling process.
Sprinkle the dried milk powder on to the milk and mix it in with a fork.
Mix the commercial yoghurt with the sugar and add 2-3 tbsp of the cooled milk and mix to make a smooth paste.
Gradually add the rest of the milk and mix well.Pour half of this mixture into each coffee jar and cover the jars with cling plastic.
Place 3 preserving jar rings or a trivet on the base of the crockpot and sit the glass jars on top of them. (This acts as an insulator so that the bases of the jars do not get too much heat from the crockpot.)
Do not put the lid on the crockpot. Leave the jars undisturbed for 4-6
hours on low/auto.
Note (from Joan) "Sometimes I flavour the yoghurt with powdered milkshake flavouring.About 1 tbsp to 600ml milk is usually enough".
Makes 2¼ cups.

Hope that helps.:-))

smudge75, May 23, 10:36pm
Fabulous, thanks heaps