Beef bolar roast

charyn1, May 26, 1:32am
how do i cook i in crockpot pleaswe!

smiler8, May 26, 1:57am
I can recommend this recipe out of an old microwave cookbook.Here it is straight from the book:
Oriental Beef Pot Roast (serves 6-8)
Easy and delicious, this pot roast requires no pre-browning.
1.5 kg lean pot roast (chuck, blade, bolar or topside)
2 Tab soy sauce
1 Tab Worcestershire sauce
2 Tab sherry
Half tspn ground ginger
2 Tab brown sugar
Half tspn dill seed
1Place soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sherry, ginger, sugar and dill in crockpot and mix well.Add the beef and turn it so that the mixture coats all surfaces of the meat.
2Cover and cook on low 9-11 hours.
320 mins prior to serving, turn control to high and thicken slightly with 2 Tab 'beurre manie' (i.e. equal quantities of soft butter and flour worked together on a saucer, formed into small balls and dropped one or two at a time into the lot liquid - stir constantly until well blended).
Note:According to the recipe book, this method of thickening a crockpot gravy is much better than the flour or cornflour paste method.

teddy147, May 26, 2:42am
i rub mustard in to mine then roll in seasoned flour, slice up 2 large onions, brown off the meat and put into crockpot, add the oniond to the pan an brown off, add to meat.
1/2 cup red wine
thyme
2 tbspoons whole grain mustard
black pepper
cover and cook on low, 1hr before serving make a paste of flour and mustard and thicken the juices around the meat.

melissarosenz, May 26, 3:44am
We baste with a marinade of soy sauce (about half a cup), wholegrain mustard (table spoon) brown sugar (teaspoon) and oil and cook all day on medium.
The gravy this makes is delicious. goes perfectly with mashed spuds and fresh green beans.

valentino, May 26, 4:17am
I combined the following, 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard,
1 tablespoon crushed garlic,
2 tablespoons olive oil,
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

With a piece of Bolar or Topside, I cut slashes into the chunk then add this mixture into the slashes, then tied up with cotton string like a piece of rib roast then rub whatever left of the mixture all over the meat.
Placed in the fridge at least an hour before being put into a slow cooker.

Slow cooked on high for 4-5 hours, 6-8 hours on slow or 2 hours on high then lowered to slow for another 3-5 hours.

Very nice as it is.

The juices can be made into a nice gravy.

If no slow cooker then roast in oven at 160C for 3-4 hours with the first couple of hours wrapped in foil then unwrap for the remaining time.

beaker59, May 26, 7:24am
Pretty much exactly what I do, I add bayleaves though and use the wine to deglaze the pan I browned the meat and onions in.