Pot Roast. tonites dinner.

fisher, May 27, 4:29am
This is a great dish I serve with roast spuds, kumura, butternut, beetroot and sometimes also carrots and onions.Some sort of "green" like beans, peas or even Cauli which is on the menu tonite seeing as it needs using up.
Ingredients:
A pot roast. 1 tbspsmoked paprika. 3 tbsp. olive oil. A large red capsicum, sliced . 2 med onions, chopped. 4 cloves garlic, chopped. 1 carrot, sliced. 1 cup red wine OR beef stock.tomato sauce. 2 tbsp red wine vinegar. 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce. 2 tsp sugar. 1/2 tsp. salt . ground black pepper. 1 tsp dried marjoram.
Method.
Preheat oven to 160c. Heat olive oil in heavy pan over medium high heat. Sprinkle roast with paprika and brown, about 15 minutes. Place in Dutch oven or any large oven proof casserole dish that has a lid and add capsicum, onions, carrot, and garlic.
In the same pan used to brown roast, add wine or beef stock, tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and salt, scraping to loosen any brown bits; add pepper and marjoram. Pour over the meat and vegetables and cover. Bake 160c oven for 4-5 hours.
When the pot roast is tender, remove and cover it with foil to keep warm.Let it rest.!
Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and puree in a food processor. Place in a saucepan, add the meat juices and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 10-15 minutes, taste test adding salt as needed until the flavour is how you like it.Plate up veges, slice the pot roast and spoon the gravy over it.

fifie, May 27, 6:52am
Yum that brings back memories Fisher, always used to do the pot roastsimilar when the kids were all home. Never tried the pureed veg wih it sounds interesting, might have to do this. These days it all gets fired in the C/Peasy peasy,lazy arn't i lol.

fisher, May 27, 8:32am
fifie. it really is the same amount of work.no different. I have a small cast iron pot with lid which is perfect.i LOVE the gravy. sooo much flavour from the veges. the meat is sooo tender.and i reckon the flavours infuse better.mum used to do it in a green enamel pot.