Powdered milk

vampiriousmist, May 22, 10:48am
Just bought and made my first lot - how do you get all the lumps out ! I shook mine in a smoothie container and then I also used a fork, but still lumps. I also used cool water too, as thats what it said on the packet. Any other suggestions !

m41, May 22, 11:06am
you add a little water make a paste the add the rest of the liquid

elliehen, May 22, 11:08am
I buy Homebrandfrom Countdown and it has no lumps ever.I half-fill a glass jug, put the powder in, stir with a fork and then add the rest of the water.

vampiriousmist, May 22, 11:15am
I also bought the homebrand - will be much cheaper in the long runJust refilled my3 litre homebrand milk bottle :D I will try the paste when I make it next.

elliehen, May 22, 11:32am
Reconstituted milk goes smelly if it's stored in plastic.It's recommended that you keep it in glass.

It's obviously easier to combine the powder first with a smaller amount of water, but you should not need to make a paste.As long as you do the half and half method you should have no lumps. I have been doing it this way for many years.

245sam, May 22, 11:33am
vampiriousmist, I too use Homebrand powdered milk - I put all the required measure of cold tap water into a jug(e.g. a 2 litre batter bowl), then add the milk powder and whisk it briefly (with a hand whisk).I have had no problems with lumps nor have I had any storage problems with the made-up milk but I store it in glass bottles which are easily washed and dried in the dish drawer.
Re the storage of milk made-up from powder:I recall reading on this MB that another poster or posters had been having problems with storing the milk in plastic and it not staying fresh, hence as I have only started using the powdered milk since reading the postings re their problems, I decided to use the glass bottles to avoid any such problems occuring and so far so good.

Hope that helps.:-))

vampiriousmist, May 22, 12:08pm
Hmmm , May have to get a nice large glass bottle of some sort . Thanks for the tips !

kokopuff, May 22, 10:11pm
Try using a whisk, i use a little hot water then mix it and top up with cold water.

lindylambchops1, May 22, 11:46pm
I use Homebrand milk powder but for baking.

nauru, May 26, 5:25am
I do this too, and I use homebrand milk powder and have never had a problem.

tramore, May 28, 1:53am
I always buy the cheapest powdered milk, whatever the brand and fill my glass jug half full with water, add the powder, whisk and fill jug to brim with water.Since I like trim milk, I have found it cheapest to buy full cream milk powder and just add in half the quantity of powder than I would if using trim powder.Goes twice the distance and no difference in favour for trim milk!Good for those on a tight budget!