Burghul question- tabbouleh salad

popped_out, May 17, 7:56pm
hi, I love tabbouleh salad and want to make my own but have tried 2 recipes but I just cant get the burghul right. One recipe I used said soak it 15 mins in lemon juice, well it was still hard hours later! Same happened with another recipe. Can anyone who makes tabbouleh salad and perfects it let me know step by step exactly what to do! I have the fine burghul in tiny bits and another bag of cracked wheat in bigger bits.

sumstyle, May 17, 8:53pm
I'm not being the spelling police, just wanting to make sure you have the right ingredient - which is BULGAR wheat.When I use bulgar wheat I cover in in cold water for 30 minutes, and then it's ready for me.

Edited to clarify: I realise it is generally the same thing, just wondering if the process of the wheat has not been completed in with "burghul"!

village.green, May 17, 8:54pm
I've been making tabbouleh salad for years and I always soak it in hot water, otherwise using cold seems to take hours and hours and then still hard.
Try it on a small amount and double the amount of hot water to the dry matter and it should be done in 20 mins.
I don't think you need to have an exact recipe although someone I'm sure will post one. As long as you get the burghul soft and not too wet, then add in plenty of chopped parsley (authentic tabbouleh should be more parsley than grain but that's up to you as you may not like it that way), some chopped spring onions or red onion, a few leaves of chopped mint, a little olive oil, juice of one or two lemons, salt and pepper and stir gently together. Chill for an hour then go back and taste to see how the flavours have assimilated and add more lemon, olive oil etc to your taste. At the end of the day it's all about how YOU like the taste.

popped_out, May 17, 9:09pm
Thanks, I like it authentic have heaps of parsley in the garden, and some mint too. Food Safari DVD season 1 has this lebanese recipe on it they make it look so easy and it probably is, I just need to get the grain right!

davidt4, May 17, 9:56pm
Bulgur, bulghur, burghul andbulgar are all the same thing - wheat grains which have been steamed, dried and ground.It comes in various grades of fineness, and the more finely ground kind is what should be used to make Tabbouleh.Maybe the OP is using a coarser grade!

And yes, Tabbouleh should be mainly mint, parsley, tomato and onion with just a little burghul.

popped_out, May 17, 10:07pm
The burghul I found and used is authentic, imported from lebanon. Its fine, kind of like breadcrumbs in size.

elliehen, May 17, 11:44pm
You can also have Tabbouleh, Tabouleh, Tabbouli or Tabouli ;)

Tabbouleh (Arabic: تبولة tabūlah; also tabouleh or tab(b)ouli)

Ah. the joys of borrowing foreign words into English!

popped_out, May 18, 1:17am
I used hot water and it was quicker but watery I put too much water in, is there a guide as to how how much grain to liquid! like there is with rice eg 1 cup rice 1 1/2 water

whitehead., May 18, 1:25am
im guessing that if you put it in an old tea towel in a bowl then add your hot water once soft you could take it out and drain itive never made it but will be trying

davidt4, May 18, 2:28am
Here are instructions from Yotam Ottolenghi, who is a much admired chef and authority on modern Middle Eastern food.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/aug/01/yotam-ottolenghi-vegetarian-tabbouleh

pogram0, May 18, 4:11am
You would find Taboulleh salad in just about every supermarket deli department in Melbourne but not the same here!

popped_out, May 18, 6:34am
thanks for that, the grain just gets rinsed under the tap thats not enough to soften it, is it!

bambi58, May 19, 1:39am
I love tabouleh too. I find that soaking the burghul in very hot water for about 1/2 hour makes it lovely & fluffy. If it's a bit watery - and some times it is, different brands - I just strain it through a fine seive. Lots of parsely mint, tomatoe, salt & peper. I add sunflower & sesame seeds as well, personal choice.
Yumm!

bambi58, May 19, 1:39am
I love tabouleh too. I find that soaking the burghul in very hot water (1/2 c to 1 of burghul)for about 1/2 hour makes it lovely & fluffy. If it's a bit watery - and some times it is, different brands - I just strain it through a fine seive. Lots of parsely mint, tomatoe,lemon juice, salt & pepper. I add sunflower & sesame seeds as well, personal choice.
Yumm!

spotswood, May 19, 2:27am
I use coucous (san Remo ) brand.100g coucous to 125ml hot water.let it absorb then add olive oil and lemon to taste.then I add the mint,parsley,cucumber,onion and tomatoes.mix together and chill.Turns out great everytime!