Gluten free experts!

shellie72, May 16, 5:10am
I have a bag of GF natural brown rice flakes that is designed to eat as a breakfast cereal. Is there any way that I could use this to make a cereal bar (maybe with honey or goldren syrup) and anzac cookies!
I am tired of buying GF cookies and treats and want to start making my own. Any guidence would be appreciated!

geldof, May 16, 6:41am
shellie, I have just been experimenting too.
I made home made museli bars.Very unhealthy though.Butter, honey and brown sugar boiled to soft toffee stage.Holds nicely.
I used a mixture of all sorts of things and brown rice flakes was one of them.

I made ginger crunch with some flakes in the base too, to try and counteract the powdery taste Gf baking often has.

If you are on FB there are some fantastic people/recipes/ideas to be found.

shellie72, May 16, 7:10am
Oh cool, thanks. Did you do anything to the ricve flakes before adding them! I would imagine they could be very hard and painfully crunchy added raw!

geldof, May 16, 8:43am
No, but I didn't put very many in.Probably only about 2 tbsp.I used quinoa flakes, coconut chips, seeds, nuts and some GF cornflakes.

I used this as a base, and used 4 cups of 'stuff' to that toffee mixture.

Having fun experimenting, but it's making my clothes shrink.

shellie72, May 16, 8:38pm
lol, yep, clothes shrinking is a common hazzard once you go gluten free. If I didnt have too, I wouldnt!

seano7, May 17, 4:16am
!st thing rice is gf. roll chicken and fry it use as a soup thickner mix with other flours to bulk it out. I own a gf cafe in carterton and there is a million things i would use this for. I cant tell you the name of m cafe in carterton as it is deemed as self promoting. but if you find the cafe under gluten free cafes i would be more than happy to help. I am in carterton in the masterton district

red2, May 17, 9:03pm
you may like to subscribe to the Coeliac Link Magazine which is bought out by the Coeliac NZ society . It has some good recipes and ideas in it.
Check it out at www.coeliac.org.nz.
It has been very helpful to me running a B and B and catering for different diets.

pom-pom, May 18, 5:22am
Hi - I amke a Robert Harris seed bar which I have adapted into a muesli bar for my 10 year old (who is coeliac). I add amaranth puffs (a little go a long way so one bag will last) If you'd like I can post my version of the recipe I use. Another 1 I make is a date and apple muesli bar which is great. Bin Inn now do GF oats. I don't buy them as they're too dear and I'm not sure if my wee one can take them, but they'd be great for GF bars if you're fine with oats.

pom-pom, May 18, 5:25am
I am in Feilding and I've heard nothing but rave reviews about your place. Easy to find on google and well worth checking out. Apparently one of my students had 'the best battered fish and dessert in the world' at your cafe. I'm desperate to bring my coeliac kid to you for a treat. Hopefully one weekend soon!

gaspodetwd, May 18, 6:16am
We have had great success making GF cookies using almond flour and hazelnut flour.
Almond works well for chewy or crisp biscuits depending on how ou cook it.
Hazelnut and cocoa is great for a nutella type flavour.

4meows, May 18, 6:22am
Recipes please:)

gaspodetwd, May 18, 6:28am
I will give you my almond recipe but not the hazelnut - sorry - its my own recipe - and I am planning a GF cookbook eventually.
Old fashioned macaroons - 4 oz ground almonds
5 oz caster sugar
2 egg whites and GF almond essence.

Mix everything together and bake at 180 for 10- 12 minutes. Chewy cookies.

4meows, May 18, 6:42am
Thanks!Yea, that's a great recipe, also with peanut butter.Good luck with your cookbook!I'm interested in the hazelnut recipe lol:)