Freezing pizza dough/bases?

dibble35, Mar 17, 10:26pm
Hi, have just got some dough rising in the breadmaker to make pizza bases with. I wont be able to eat them all before they go stale, so I read somewhere that i can freeze the dough. how is this done, after shaping and left to sit! in balls ready to shape and sit after defrosted! Or am i better partially baking them and then freezing, thanks.

lizab, Mar 17, 10:32pm
I partially bake mine and then freeze them, but I have also frozen the raw dough in a ball, which was fine too :)

cgvl, Mar 17, 10:55pm
I just freeze the ball of dough until next time. Have not bothered to partially cook to be honest never thought of doing so.

bella95, Mar 18, 12:31am
Depends on how much room you've got in your freezer. I would probably freeze in balls but you could roll out and freeze in layers separated with plastic, be aware the dough will rise as it thaws.
It's too much heat that 'kills' yeast not cold so just treat it as fresh when it thaws.

ayglepaygle, Mar 18, 1:12am
I just tried it for the first time. After the initial rise in the breadmaker -I shaped the dough and then froze it. I let it defrost and rise then baked as usual.Worked well!

purplegoanna, Mar 18, 8:07am
its called cold fermentation, isearched HIGH & LOW for the perfect thin crust REAL DEAL pizza base recipe and then found peter reinharts recipe, its so easy forget the breadmaker, you can make it in one large bowl, then knead then put in fridge or freezer and then defrost the day you need it and let it prove for 2 hrs before kneading and (using your knuckles) knead/stretch your bases out to size, its my NO1 recipe now. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html