Chicken Stock - how to make?

gnome25, Mar 20, 2:07am
Novice here.

I have four chicken carcasses (quite meaty ones).I have put into a large pot and covered them with water.How long do I have to cook it for!And do I boil then simmer!Or keep boiling the whole time!Do I need to add anything else!

Sorry to sound so stupid, but all my cookbooks seem to just say 'use stock' in the soup recipes and not actually tell you how to make stock.

olwen, Mar 20, 2:17am
Add celery, onions, herbs.Bring to the boil then simmer for an hour or more

gnome25, Mar 20, 2:30am
ok, thanks for that.What sort of herbs are best!

angel404, Mar 20, 2:36am
I use parsley mostly but just use whatever herbs u have. I tend towards fresh herbs though and put them in towards the end. I also add whatever veggies need using up so carrots, onion, corgette, broccoli etc. You cant really stuff it up! I make heaps of my own chicken stock and its great so much lower in sodium than store bought stuff - not to mention preservative and msg free!

gnome25, Mar 20, 2:46am
thanks heaps for that

lythande1, Mar 20, 2:50am
Chook, onion, celery, carrot and a bouquet garni. S & P too. Can't just bung a chicken in it.

davidt4, Mar 20, 2:54am
Bring to the boil very slowly, keep at a gentle simmer for about 3 hours until the carcases fall apart.If you are using boiling fowls they will need more like 5 hours.Strain through a large sieve, cool, remove the layer of fat that will form on top.Freeze what you don't use within three days.

I don't add any flavourings at all because I freeze stock and I don't want to limit the ways in which I can use it.If you add herbs like celery and onions or the contents of the vege drawer the stock will only be suitable for European dishes, and everything you make with it will taste similar.

caspin12, Mar 20, 3:39am
put them in the slow cooker/crock pot if youve got one, that way you can leave unattended without worry.i just throw in a couple of bay leaves and anonion.