Cocoa mystery solved. Maybe

bella95, Mar 18, 12:23am
Lots of posters (myself included) have been commenting on the lack of colour/taste of a well known brand of cocoa.
I've just come across this article that explains the difference between the two main types of cocoa - complete with pictures.
I found it really interesting and enlightening. I'm posting in the hopes that others will too.
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/02/cocoa-powder-faq-dutch-process-v/

angel404, Mar 18, 1:09am
That was quite interesting. but whats the "potassium solution" they use!

bella95, Mar 18, 1:24am
Haven't done any research on that sorry.

davidt4, Mar 18, 4:13am
Potassium Carbonate

makespacenow, Mar 18, 6:01am
Try the venezuelan black
willies cacao.100% cocoa

horizons_, Mar 19, 4:09am
Interesting article. But does not address why Cadbury's cocoa powder has changed colour or flavour. I suspect Cadbury's has either changed what they mix their powder with or have started mixing it with a filler to bulk it out. Either way, it is not the cocoa powder I will be using again, it's way too disgusting and you have to use 3x as much to get anynting closely resembling its old flavour.

dibble35, Mar 19, 5:27am
didnt read the article sorry but after having it recommended on here i bought the signature brand (countdown) cocoa, down hot choc/tea aisle. best of the lot , gets my vote

bella95, Mar 21, 3:12am
Hi horizions.
The 'new' cadburys is kind of why I posted. Was thinking that maybe (along with heaps of their other probucts) it's now being made elsewhere and is now 'dutched' instead of the stuff we're used to.