Hot Cross Buns

carter441, Mar 23, 9:49pm
The recipe calls for 75g of citrus rind.I don't have scales.Does anyone know what this equates to, either in tablespoons or quantity of lemons!Also, what is best, lemons or oranges or a mixture!Help - please!

Oh, and you can find the recipe via this link:

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/baking-and-recipes/1312/easter-hot-cross-buns-breadmaker-recipe.aspx

casey1232, Mar 23, 10:14pm
Hey have had a look at your recipe. That seems like alot of rind for only 3 1/2 cups of flour.Im a experienced chef so have a good idea about baking. An average egg is about 35g-65 grams.Personally id go a mixture of orange and lemon. 2 each should be MORE than enough. Wouldn't use more than 2 tablespoons of rind or you will find them overloaded with rind.

davidt4, Mar 23, 10:18pm
I think the recipe might be referring to candied peel rather than citrus zest.That would make sense of the quantity.

casey1232, Mar 23, 10:24pm
Yea that seems like a hell of a lot. Personally id leave it out altogether. That would make them yuk!

pickles7, Mar 23, 10:26pm
You use candied citrus rinds, not the rind straight off the fruit. chop them the same size as the currants.

lilyfield, Mar 23, 10:56pm
they mean candied peel--NOT fresh, that would be far too much

carter441, Mar 23, 10:59pm
Thank you everyone for your responses - I am most grateful.I am going to use 75 grams of candied peel which apparently equates to half a cup!Wish me luck!

accroul, Mar 24, 1:22am
I use 1/2 a pkt of Tasti candied peel