Lemon grass

genpat, Mar 30, 3:09pm
I am making a Thai fish recipe that needs lemon grass.Bought some today for first time and looks like stalks. How do you prepare it for use!Thanks.

beaker59, Mar 30, 8:50pm
I slice very thinly from the end then grind in a mortar and pestle , thats what I do hope its correct :)

I also cook whole (after breaking a bit with the end of the knife to open up) in stocks soups etc then remove before serving.

davidt4, Mar 30, 11:45pm
If it is for a curry paste, cut the root end off and cut off most of the leafy end, leaving about 10 cm of the thickest part of the stalk.Give it a good bash with the side of a cleaver or the side of a heavy knife.Remove the outer layers until you are left with the tender inner stalk.Chop it crossways very finely, then pound in a mortar.

If it is for a soup or a braise just trim both ends, give it a bash and put it in whole.

genpat, Mar 31, 3:30am
Thank you .I think I am on to it now.It says put it in the fish cavity so I assume that means after you pound it for a bit.I was a bit taken aback by the stalk appearance when I first saw it.

davidt4, Mar 31, 3:44am
If it's just going inside a fish I would trim and bash it and cut into three or four pieces.No need to chop or pound.

genpat, Apr 1, 1:10am
Thanks The salmon was lovely,everyone had second and third helpings!I did trim and bash the lemon grass,put in limes,coriander,mint,parsley, a few knobs of butter,salt and pepper etc.I sprayed it with olive oil spray and wrapped it in foil.It was pink and moist and delicious.I was worried it would be bland and dry,very pleased!

davidt4, Apr 1, 2:07am
That sounds lovely.I must try it now that our limes are ripe.