Easter baking ideas?

olishea, Apr 3, 11:29pm
Neither me or my man are big chocolate fans, although we both have a massive sweet tooth. Wanting to do some baking for the weekend with some easter relevance, already done my hot cross buns, any other ideas!

davidt4, Apr 3, 11:39pm

cookessentials, Apr 3, 11:45pm
Simnel cake and hot cross buns. You can make the hot cross bun recipe into more of an Easter Plait, like the Greeks. The plait has eggs placed ( in their shells, dyed red.for Christs blood) into the plait.
http://gourmettraveller.com.au/greek-easter-bread.htm

sarahb5, Apr 4, 1:29am
I'm making Easter cupcakes with mini eggs (yes, the real ones from Cadbury in the UK that Cadbury here aren't producing this year) - will do vanilla cupcakes with chocolate icing and crumbled flake on top but an alternative is lemon icing on top with shredded coconut.It's my daughter's 21st on Easter Sunday and we're having a bag family dinner on Saturday night so we will also have birthday cake and hopefully other leftovers so I don't have to cook on Sunday!

elliehen, Apr 4, 1:59am
Alison Holst's EASTER MUFFINS, a tried and true easy alternative to hot cross buns

Heat oven 210*C, tray just below middle
Measure in bowl 1 cup dried fruit (sultanas, currants, mixed fruit)
Add:
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
Toss to mix thoroughly

Put in container:
1/4 cup canola
1 large egg
1 cup orange juice
Beat with fork

Fold wet into dry ingredients until just mixed (don't over-mix)
Bake 12 - 15 minutes
Stand 2 to 3 minutes
Put on rack & place in plastic bag as soon as cold
Warm briefly to serve (optional)

NOTE: For richer muffins replace oil & salt & juice with 50-75 gms melted butter & 1 cup milk

Serve with BRANDY BUTTER
Beat 50 gms soft butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 -2 Tablespoons brandy
Refrigerate, but serve at room temperature

elliehen, Apr 4, 2:04am
Here's a link to the Simnel Cake, a UK Easter tradition, mentioned in post #3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/simnelcake_792

There are other links you can Google for 'Simnel Cake'.

cookessentials, Apr 4, 4:14am
This is my one. Have not made it in a few years.
Simnel Cake

250g unsalted butter
200) brown sugar
4 eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
50g mixed peel
50g craisins
250g raisins, chopped coarsely
150g sultanas
600g marzipan
1/4 cup apricot jam, warmed

Preheat oven to 180C or 160C for fan forced. Grease and line a 25cm springform pan.

Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs on at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold through sifted flour, baking powder and mixed spice.

Fold through dried fruit and spoon half of the mixture into the prepared pan.

Roll out 200g of the marzipan into a 25cm circle. Place over the fruit mixture. Pour remaining mixture on top and bake for 1½ hours or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool.

Roll out another 200g marzipan into a 25cm circle. Brush jam over cake. Place marzipan over the top of the cake. Trim to fit neatly.

Using remaining marzipan, make 12 balls (to represent the apostles), place on top of cake. Grill cake 3 minutes or until golden brown.

sarahb5, Apr 4, 4:18am
11 apostle "balls" to exclude Judas who betrayed Jesus - very hard to evenly space 11 balls though so we usually have 10 around the edge and one in the middle!