Got given wild duck

waiting6, Apr 1, 3:13am
please how would you cook them

makespacenow, Apr 1, 3:27am
the czech way.wash dry then salt inside out place orange inside cover leave overnight in the fridge then add cup of vodka and cup of water roast turning every half hour to get dark golden/brown crispy skin.serve witg steamed bread (knedla) and red cabbage cooked in red wine.the food of medieval czech kings delicious.

waiting6, Apr 1, 3:31am
cheers for that

illusion_, Apr 1, 3:33am
Easy answer = like a roast chook. but a bit less time as they are smaller and you do NOT want to overcook them. Serve with plenty of gravy and whatever veg you fancy.

lythande1, Apr 1, 7:02am
Mmm. Not like a roast chook, it's wild not sat around in a cage all it's few months of life like chooks.
Possibly be tough if it's an older bird.
Cook it slow to be sure.

peterlap1, Apr 1, 7:36am
Has it been shot or captured !

seniorbones, Apr 1, 10:57am
and make sure you turn the fan on they are usually quite strong and my house stunk for days I had to have a candle going whenever I was home.a wild duck! its not duck season until the 1st of may!

peterlap1, Apr 1, 7:14pm
5th. May!

kuaka, Apr 1, 7:15pm
1st Saturday in May!

mackenzie2, Apr 1, 7:24pm
I stuff mine with a basic bread/mixed herb/onion and milk stuffing, then I put it in the slow cooker, cover and rub it with plum sauce, then cook it on low for the day, duck is tender and tasty. Enjoy

daisyk, Apr 1, 8:22pm
Mmmmm - sounds delicious - hope I get a wild duck this season

tex-tickle, Apr 1, 8:28pm
Probably somebody emptying out their freezer in preparation for some 'fresh ones'.
I've never had wild duck smell like that when cooking.
Whenwe prep them for the freezer we cut off the fatty 'parsons nose'. I've been told that there is some kind of scent gland in there, and if you cook it with that on it makes them taste far too strong, that might account for the smell you are referring to.
I would definitely recommend far slower cooking than a chicken, otherwise I imagine it would be tough and dry.
I do usually marinate them, never make up the same marinade twice though - just whatevers handy.
Also I generally use a cooking bag (or cover) to keep the moisture in, which I wouldn't consider necessary for chicken.

peterlap1, Apr 1, 9:28pm
My wife stuffs it, puts it in the slow cooker with soy sauce, juice of an orange and a knob of butter drizzled over. It cooks for 4 or so hours and is meltingly tender , browned and delicious.

herself, Apr 1, 9:40pm
Well that sounds easy and delicious!I will try that this season (if himself bags any), Thanks!

peterlap1, Apr 1, 9:59pm
After years of cooking them, herself, my wife finally came up with that one and has given it to many people who have agreed that it's the best way to get them tender and keep them moist.Good luck with it!

mwood, Apr 1, 10:11pm
I cook frozen wild duck, skinned not plucked, for 13 minutes in the microwave in the bag they are individually frozen in - perfect every time.

seniorbones, Apr 1, 11:28pm
oh ok. early may :-0) I have only had it once and it was so full of lead pellets I never want another!

kuaka, Apr 2, 8:55am
Sorry, I was just pointing out that it's always the first Saturday in May, rather than the 1st of May (which may or may not be a Saturday), and yes, I've had it in years past and sometimes it's been so full of lead it's a health hazard.

beaker59, Apr 2, 3:32pm
Lead shot was banned a few years back now. Only steel shot is legal now, personally after last years efforts I preferred the rabbits we shot while walking back from the duck pond to the ducks we shot. I didn't find the shot too much of an issue though I wasn't fond of the roasted ducks I did like the fried breast meat and the casseroled breast and thigh meat. This year I won't be plucking but rather just taking the breast and leg meat without the skin. We got some Quail last year too now they were delicious definately going for a few more of those :)

simeon_, Apr 2, 4:39pm
any one got a wild duck in invercargill for sale!

jimmy2102, Apr 2, 8:00pm
My father used to make pate out of it, it was famous amongst his group of shooters, he basically steamed the duck in a big pot with a little water in the bottom until tender and cooked, then blended it with seasoning, cooked garlic and onion, and some melted butter. Top with loads of cracked black pepper.

nik12, May 9, 11:47am
Bump for more ideas! My 12 year old went shooting with his friend and bought me home for of the babies.The smell of them fresh is enough to put me off, but he's determined we try them lol.
I've been told slow cooker is a good idea so I'll do that.But I have four!Well maybe three, one doesn't look like it was plucked that flash :-)

rainrain1, May 9, 8:43pm
Post #10 and post #13 sound delish, my pick of the bunch !

dreamers, May 9, 8:45pm
I did last night a cassoulet risotto with wild duck,everyone said it was divine,very easy as long as you have time to stand over ithe pan to add the warm stock to the rice.