Do you take meat off bacon hock?

gabrielle4, May 10, 7:08am
I am making some soup using a hock, do you usually take the meat off or just use for flavouring. I usually use bones so haven't used a hock before. (I know I need to get out more!)

kiwibubbles, May 10, 7:11am
you'll find that the meat will fall off the hock really easily. yes i usually keep the meat in the soup but take the outer layer of fat off the hock first, and then its very easy to shred the meat off

gabrielle4, May 10, 7:13am
Thanks kiwibubbles :)

cookessentials, May 10, 8:09am
Same as above for me. I do mine in my crockpot until the meat falls off the bone, then I shred it, skim the fat off the liquid, throw in the variious vege etc with Campbells stock, chopped tomatoes etc etc. I pop the meat back in once the vege are part cooked.

kinna54, May 10, 8:12am
I usually make some vertical cuts along the length of the hock before putting it in the pot. That way it all falls to pieces during to first cook. Then the fatty skin is easily removed and disposed of plus any sinuy bits connected to the meat but retain all the meat. Cool to remove any fat but you will find there won't be alot. When adding potato to soup I shred it in the wizz then run it under the tap in a sieve to remove lots of the starch.