Water cress

jonoandstacey, May 12, 6:29am
Ok guys I need some ideas for watercress, never had it before but bought some at the farmers market today to give it ago. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

coast_palms, May 12, 6:34am
Watercress and Kikorangi Soup. mmmmmmm

When you use the watercress, blanch it first so that you retain the colour. Many people just cook the guts out of it, not too good.

Other ideas, use the leaf tips for Kikorangi, pear, walnut and cress salad, drizzled with EVOO.

sultana0, May 12, 6:46am
Tear off or rip some leaves into a fresh salad (good for a mesculin), boil for 1/2 to 3/4 hr at the end when boiling pork bone, mutton or beef. Nice raw in a sammie (lots of butter) as the greens part of it. When I do a boil up. soup is left over quite nice.

davidt4, May 12, 6:56am
Turkish Pear, Feta & Watercress Salad

serves 6

6 pears
1 ½ tab pomegranate or grape molasses
1 tab extra virgin olive oil
3 c watercress sprigs
200g feta, crumbled
70g hazelnuts, roasted, peeled and chopped roughly

Dressing:

2 tab red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tab pomegranate or grape molasses
1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and crushed
125 ml ev olive oil
salt & pepper

Heat oven to 180C.

Cut pears (don’t peel) in half lengthways, remove cores, slice each half into three.Arrange in one layer on baking dish, drizzle with pekmez and oil, roast 30 min, turning once, until very tender, golden all over, juices rduced and sticky.Cool.

Make dressing by whisking all ingredients together.

Arrange watercress on serving plate, scatter over the pears, cheese and hazelnuts.Trickle dressing over.

davidt4, May 12, 6:57am
Beetroot Beans & Watercress Salad

1 tab olive oil
50g pecans
1.3kg small beetroots
250g small green beans
120g watercress sprigs
2 tab walnut oil
1 tsp honey
2 tsp orange zest
1 tab cider vinegar
50g firm blue cheese,crumbled

Fry pecans in oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper, drain.

Line a steamer with baking paper and steam beetroot 30 - 40 min, cool, reserve steaming water.Add trimmed beans to water and boil 5 min until just tender.

Peel beetroot, cut into wedges.

Combine pecans, beans and watercress in large bowl.Mix oil, honey, zest and vinegar, pour over salad.Add beetroot, season, sprinklecheese over.

rosel4, May 12, 11:59am
Gordon Ramsey's watercress soup is delectable!http://youtu.be/tkdCkkn63iE

And I forgot my favourite watercress pesto!Plenty of recipes on the web.I use lemon juice, olive oil, pinenuts (or substitute) a chilli (and only if I have any, that parmesan cheese).Keeps for ages in the fridge.

Love it with pasta!

janny3, May 12, 12:44pm
I like garlic in my watercress pesto.