My oozing Chelsea buns

samsnan, May 13, 5:38am
Carefully rolled out and filled with the brown sugar,cinnamon,spice mixed in melted butter. I roll them up and cut them. But as they cook the mix comes out. What am I doing wrong!

wheelz, May 13, 5:41am
rolled too tight.

lilyfield, May 13, 6:41am
hope they are on baking paper as they always ooze a bit

gardie, May 13, 7:14am
Yeast or scone dough!

elliehen, May 13, 7:16am
I make scone dough chelsea-style buns - not yeast - and fill them with cinnamon, sugar, sultanas and grated apple and put them into two sponge roll tins lined with baking paper (5 in a circle and one in the middle).

They join together while baking and rarely ooze, making a nice-looking 'pull-apart'.

wron, May 13, 11:07am
Would you post your recipe please elliehen!

elliehen, May 13, 11:45am
Chelsea Buns (with any plain scone dough)

Put into saucepan and cook gently for five minutes:
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 &1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 dessertspoon flour

Roll plain scone dough out thin but not-too-thinly into a rectangle (about 25x20 cm). Spread the cinnamon mix over the dough, then sprinkle a few sultanas and grate one apple overtop (skin on or off).Roll from the long side into a log.Cut into slices about 15-20 mm thick (I cut log into half, then each half into six).

Put six into each round sponge sandwich tin (meant to say that above instead of sponge roll!) with one in the middle and five around the edge.Bake ten minutes at 215*C.

Eat hot with butter, or zig-zag a drizzly vanilla icing overtop while warm.

Edited to add: the apple and sultanas are optional

macandrosie, May 18, 8:05am
I think having the grated apple in them would make them very soggy unless you squeezed out the juice before adding. Also I line a rectangle tin with baking paper, & fill it evenly with 12 scones, all sitting on their ends. When they begin to cook & expand they touch each other which helps the sides to stay soft & moist. When cooked, I pull them out (still sitting on the baking paper) onto a cooling rack& cover with a clean teatowel till they are cool. Helps keep them soft & moist.

terraalba, May 18, 8:36am
Baking paper is marvellous for this kind of recipe. Wish We'd had the stuff when I used to do more baking.

elliehen, May 18, 8:56am
Nope.Have made them this way many times and no pre-squeezing is necessary ;)