Lasagne

hunter246, May 10, 9:01pm
I've always made a cheese sauce when making lasagne but wanted to make it healthier so saw that you can use cottage cheese.My question is: can you use lite cottage cheese by itself or do you have to blend it with eggs or cream cheese!Thanks

jimmy2102, May 10, 9:08pm
Ive used it by itself. But do put a cheese sauce on the top

texastwo, May 10, 9:16pm
Its just not the same without a cheese sauce on the top. Live a little!

spot20, May 10, 9:17pm
Any cottage cheese will do but we prefer traditional, just make sure you use plenty.its delicious!

olwen, May 10, 9:41pm
I would add an egg.It helps to hold the lasagne together.

alig65, May 10, 9:50pm
Cannot beat 'Alison Holst's Lazy Lasagne"!

winnie231, May 10, 9:56pm
Blend the cottage cheese with an egg until smooth & season well (s&p, garlic, herbs .). You can add some tasty or parmesan cheese for extra flavour if you want or simply grate some on top of the finished dish.
As olwen said above - the egg helps create a thick sauce which holds together.

retired, May 10, 11:00pm
alig65 I agree with you, turns our fine every time even when I play around with the ingredients.

bridget107, May 10, 11:22pm
If you want to make a much healthy lasagne, this one is a Weight Watcher's recipe.http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/beef-and-lentil-lasagne/

tigerlilly16, May 11, 11:16am
I've used both cottage cheese by itself and mixed with egg and actually prefer it by itself but you should definitely give it a try both ways to see what you prefer- I use as a layer in the middle so I go noodles (with a little juice from the meat sauce in the bottom of the dish first ) then half the meat sauce then noodles then cottage cheese and quite often another cheese like some grated parmesan or cheddar and I have also used crumbled feta, then more noodles, the other half of the meat sauce, any remaining noodles and sprinkle grated cheese over the top. I also sometimes use spinach or silverbeet between one or 2 of the layers, I dont bother to cook these first just layer the leaves in raw they cook through as the lasagne heats in oven.

norse_westie, May 12, 3:40am
My exMIL is Italian and taught me absolute from scratch pure Italian Lasagna. It does not have cheese sauce, not even cottage or ricotta cheese.In fact its a rich béchamel sauce only, with a heavy layer of grated fresh Romano cheese on the top.

I was happy recently to be invited to dinner by a good friend whose hubby owns a lovely Italian restaurant (and cooks for it) and was assured that cheese sauce is sacrilege in true lasagna. ;)

perle, May 12, 10:08am
I do half cottage cheese, half sour cream, an egg, salt n pepper, parmesan. Blend all together and pour on top. Nice made with the italian herb flavor cottage cheese

lindylambchops1, May 13, 5:03am
I want to make this one this week.can't wait to try it!

http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/beef-and-lentil-lasagne/

I usually make the Alison Holst Lazy Lasagna.

hunter246, May 13, 10:19pm
Thanks everyone, ended up mixing lite cottage cheese with chives and garlic with lite sour cream, an egg and salt and pepper.Went down a treat, think I might make it for a pot luck dinner I have this Friday.

sunny119, May 13, 10:26pm
I use light cottage cheese in between each layer, its a household fave and alot quicker than fluffing with cheese sauce. Thumbs up here!