American Food

penwill1, Apr 9, 3:02am
we are having an USA week and are looking for some ideas for lunch and dessert and also mornng or afternoon tea
thanks

buzzy110, Apr 9, 3:21am
Americans are really big on beef spare ribs. They call them bbqued but they aren't really bbqued. They smother them in a very sweet, spicy sauce and bake them in the oven till tender. They really are quite yum, especially if you like your meat sweet. Sadly you can't buy them here unless you order them from your butcher. You may have to take along a computer printout to show him exactly what part of the animal to cut them from and what size to make them.

buzzy110, Apr 9, 3:35am
Mississippi Mud cake is a dessert favourite. Google that.

Popcorn. Waffles with 'maple' syrup and cream that is in an aerosol can. They love that. Scones - Americans call them biscuits.

Of course American 'cuisine' is a wide mix from many different cultures. In California any dish that you would call Mexican is a favourite so that include nachos, refried beans, sour cream and other mexican things that I can't remember but are quite popular here. In New York there is the ubiquitous frankfurter with onion and mustard in a bun, otherwise called a hotdog, bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon and just about any other Jewish food. Pickles are also very popular in New York.

In between, Americans have similar tastes to NZers. They love steak, roasts, chicken - especially fried, fish and some even eat vegetables. Corn on the cob is American.

Down south they have Cajun food. So you have things like gumbo and cajun fish. In the past I have been quite scathing of American cooking but I make an exception with Cajun food. It is the stuff of legends.

They even like jam, only over there they call it Jelly. Jelly they call Jello and that is another favourite. Ice Cream, Coca cola, potato crisps, soda (soft drinks) fruit juice, grits, pizza - you name it and it is sure to be part of their culture.

buzzy110, Apr 9, 3:39am
I nearly forgot peanuts, peanut butter, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, fries. Man, they have fries with everything. Some even have baked jacket potato with sour cream and a sprinkling of paprika instead - the list is endless.

I nearly forgot the most favourite food of all - TURKEY. They even sell turkey pieces hot in their serve over delis like we do chicken.

beebs, Apr 9, 3:44am
Re ribs Countdown have sachets called sticky rib marinade, i think its global brand, buy some of those for your ribs, sticky sweet yum! I ook the ribs (pork) long and slow in an oven bag, at about 150c for 4-6 hours and then finish them by brushing and layering heaps of the sauce/marinade on (keep oven at 150)

elliehen, Apr 9, 5:53am
Every state in the USA is like a different country, in many respects - and cuisine is one of them. One side-dish which crosses state borders is cornbread, easy to make and a popular accompaniment to both meat and chilli bean dishes.

elliehen, Apr 9, 5:58am
Just a postscript... if you've only ever eaten in cafes and restaurants in the USA, you might have a slightly warped idea of the food average Americans eat. For example, no family cook would ever serve dinner without a big green salad!

diamondgirl06, Apr 9, 6:12am
Apple Pie

penwill1, Apr 9, 6:53am
thanks heaps for the ideas, I am looking for work, a resthome so the ribs might be out, but heaps of other great ideas

taratoo, Apr 9, 7:33am
Chili, Meatloaf and mashed potatoes, Philly cheese steak sandwiches, pastrami sandwiches, pot pies, buffalo wings, chicken fried steak with cream gravy, apple pie, new england clam chowder, Po' Boys, Corn Dogs, buttered Corn on the cob with chili-lime on a stick, S'mores (marshmallow, chocolate, graham cracker)

lennyb1, Jan 15, 8:15am
Jello salad! Americans will put any number things into fruit jelly, including savoury items like rice and cheese. Maybe Google one of those recipes where you whip the jelly together with cream cheese and tinned pineapple. Small correction for buzzy10 - Americans have both jam (often called preserves) and jelly (jelly being made from strained fruit juice and pectin) available. A PBJ - peanut butter & jelly sandwich - can be made with either.