Quince Jelly - ready to make it

dibble35, May 7, 5:45am
Well got given my quinces today, so I can finally make my quince jelly. but :-( i've gone sugar free in the last week and so far been successful at keeping away from the stuff, been thinking about going sugar free for a few weeks now and thought i'd start by cutting down on sugar but ended up not having any at all. Have got over the headaches and head cold feeling that was the withdrawel and I know if I make this jelly i'll want to try some and i'll be back to square 1- bugger!

juliewn, May 7, 11:00am
Hi Dibble :-). could you try making it without sugar! As it's concentrated, it would probably still have good flavour, though the fructose mightn't help with being sugar free.

dibble35, May 7, 7:41pm
Can you make it sugar free! If so would love to know how please. It wouldnt be sugar free as you say cause of the fructose but i could have tiny amounts smeared on toast. think i'll still make it and just give it away to the family. Was so looking forward to it.

momma1, May 7, 8:26pm
we had some quinces donated to the foodbank and i took them home and made my FIRST try at any kind of jelly! and i have to say it came out clear and wonderful (even if i did push on the bag a couple of times). good luck its fun trying new stuff

elliehen, May 8, 1:22am
dibble35, if you do decided to make it without sugar please come back and say how it turned out.

Quince Jelly is a delicious spread for toast (and to have with cheese and crackers) and you need so little of it - just a teaspoon - to enjoy it.Would one small teaspoon of regular Quince Jelly eaten occasionally really throw you off the wagon!

dibble35, May 8, 2:15am
elliehen wrote:

dibble35, if you do decided to make it without sugar please come back and say how it turned out.

Quince Jelly is a delicious spread for toast (and to have with cheese and crackers) and you need so little of it - just a teaspoon - to enjoy it.Would one small teaspoon of regular Quince Jelly

dont know. book recommends upto 10gms of sugar a day but theres sugar in so many things i have to be really careful, weetbix, storeboughtbread(which is why i'm just eating my own sour dough) marmite, crackers, anything low fat is out, lots tinned stuff. will google sugar free quince jelly. wont hold my breath

elliehen, May 8, 2:22am
Here's a website listing sugar-free jams and jellies, but they've got fructose added from other fruits, so it's an odd definition of 'sugar-free'.The quince jelly has pineapple concentrate added.

I did like the suggestion I saw there of coating the apples for your apple pie with quince jelly :)

http://www.lejardindelydie.com/Quince_Jelly_pro.aspx

dibble35, May 9, 1:02am
well made it, think its turned out nice. Only made 1 jar in the end, seemed to boil down to nothing, never mind will taste good and i'll know to use more fruit next time

ansypansy1, May 9, 4:02am
I used to make this years ago.

Perfect quinces. Wash well and place in a saucepan.
mix cup for cup sugar and water, and pour over to a depth of about 2inches.
boil gently for ! hours. I can't remember the time.
You can tell when it's ready though, the sugar/water mix will have gone a beautiful colour from the juices boiled out of the quinces, and will coat the back of a spoon.
Lift the quinces out very carefully so they don't break up in the water. Pour the water mix into jars where it will set perfectly.
Eat the quinces with cream, or custard for dessert.

You can tell why I don't do this any more, plus have no quinces anyway, but everything is delish