Poached eggs

yelreveb, Apr 12, 12:27am
How do you make poached eggs! I bought a proper egg poacher from Stevens.How do I use it!

mudsquat, Apr 12, 12:31am
Does it not come with instructions! I've never used one, just poach my eggs in lightly boiling water with a but of salt in it. The only thing to remember is that the eggs have to be very fresh.

mattdylan, Apr 12, 12:36am
I used to have one of those poachers from Stevens, hated it, they are such a mission to clean and the eggs form a weird coating. Just learn how to poach them in water, sooo much easier!

whitehead., Apr 12, 12:36am
i used to sit mine in a fry pan with water half way up the poacher and i would wipe the cups out with a little oil i also used a lid

samsnan, Apr 12, 12:38am
Yes I biffed mine also cause they are hard to get out and also they dont hold size 8 eggs. And yes I did grease them first.

beaker59, Apr 12, 12:55am
I have a pan which is wide and easy to get the eggs out of I use about an inch deep water with salt and a cap full of vinegar(the vinegar reduces the egg running everywhere) bring to a simmer then add eggs. Flick a bit of water over the top of the egg.

mwood, Apr 12, 1:02am
Bestthing tip I have is to use a very small frypan just big enough for two eggs.

yelreveb, Apr 12, 2:04am
Thanks for all your replies - I don't want to throw out my poacher as it was a birthday present.However, I did not oil the little containers so maybe I will try that.The water kept on boiling over into the eggs so obviously I need to turn the heat down.Prob trial and error!

norse_westie, Apr 12, 2:57am
I do mine in a frypan of water, but my kids do it in the microwave. Not strictly poached, but apparently just as good. I don't eat them so wouldn't know.

seano7, Apr 12, 3:12am
why would you buy one of those things. If I get served eggs cooked in one i am not impressed. white vinager and water salt and pepper spin water while almost boiling put eggs in and cook for two mins. Now they are paoched eggs not steemed eggs like what you have got sorry

whitehead., Apr 12, 5:56am
se less water it only wonts to come half way up and use a lid

whitehead., Apr 12, 5:58am
you can put your eggs in boiling water for just a minute then remove and brake the egg into boiling water it just cooks the white enough to hold it together but ive never got it right yet so cant give you times

marywea, Apr 12, 7:30am
Best hint I have read on here--don't add salt to the water, just vinegar.This has given me good shaped eggs.

angie117, Apr 13, 4:56am
I have one of those poachers yelreveb, cause I just cant cook good poach eggs without one. I have learnt to spray oil in the little containers first. And i leave mine cookingfor 3min, then take them out of containers and put them in the hot water where they were cooking for 30seconds and I find they come out perfect. Sometimes you need to run a knife round them in the containers so they pop out nicely.If you just cook them in the containers I find the whites stay abit too runny. Thats why I put them in the water for 30seconds.

kinna54, Apr 14, 1:11am
ditto.

matuq, Aug 7, 10:21pm
Hmmm.now there's a hint I haven't heard before.I see egg poachers are on Daily Deals at the moment and I was thinking of making a purchase but thought I would look for threads here first.Not sure that I'll bother with the egg poacher purchase now.

ferrit47, Aug 7, 11:24pm
I have one & use it lots without any trouble. I run a knife around the edge to stop them sticking.

rainrain1, Aug 7, 11:41pm
fresh eggs = pot =boiling water

biggles45, Aug 7, 11:45pm
+1. Except I use about 4 inches of water. Also, before you add the eggs, use a large spoon/spatula to stir the water round until it is going round fast. Add eggs and the swirling motion makes the white stay close to the egg, without spreading out.

matuq, Aug 8, 12:53am
I was given some fresh eggs once and to poach them I put them on a saucer - as recommended - and slid them into boiling water.Perfect!Absolutely perfect!But they do need to be fresh I think, otherwise it doesn't work.I have to use supermarket eggs so can't do that anymore.

nzhel, Aug 8, 1:39am
I do poached eggs very regularly - about twice a week at least!
I do mine in a medium sized frying pan, I fill the pan quite 'deeply' with boiling water and put in those metal egg poaching rings which I've had for years. I let the pan then come to the boil. We then time them with our toaster - put in the bread to toast (which is set at around a medium time) set the toaster and time a minute from then - then crack in the eggs. When the toast pops up we butter it lightly then the eggs are usually done to perfection. We have used this timing system now over the years with at least 3 different toasters and it always works for us. I never use vinegar in the water either as I have found at times it gives the eggs a vinegar taste.

omega12, Aug 8, 12:56pm
I seem to do mine differently. I use a small frypan (big enough for 2-3 eggs), about an inch of water and I add milk (about qtr to half cup). Have heat on low, just bubbling and add eggs. Flick water over top as they cook and bring out after a couple of minutes. Perfect every time, white stays with egg and I love the taste. No need to swirl water.