Making bread - honey flavoured/added?

dibble35, Apr 14, 4:19am
Hi, can you add honey instead of sugar to homemade bread! I tried making a honey and grain loaf today with my sourdough but it didnt come out right. was nt thinking and added it at the end after i was 1/2 way thru kneading it alongwith some extra flour as it went quite sticky, the flavours nice but the loaf itself isnt upto the usual standard, TIA

gardie, Apr 14, 4:24am
Yes - honey in place of sugar at the beginning of the process.I find that it gives the bread a distinct honey flavour - not my favourite.

lilyfield, Apr 14, 8:58pm
instead of sugar you can use
honey- golden syrup- molasses- treacle- brown sugar- raw sugar- icing sugar- corn syrup- muscovy sugar
or whatever sugar

goodtwin, Apr 14, 9:05pm
honey is excellent in home made bread. I like manuka in mine but will use any thats available.My last bread i made in a stock pot and it turned out huge , oh also very yummy

buzzy110, Apr 14, 9:34pm
That is not a question I could be confident to give an answer to. Personally I'm not into sweet bread.

Sour dough starter doesn't require any food, other than flour, to work. However, I have come across quite a few recipes that have malt flour in the sponge and in the early days I used to use it but it imparted no flavour and served no useful purpose. My SIL adds malt to his sourdough and I think it tastes awful and his bread is not the high rise, fluffy loaf I have come to know and love.

If it were me this is what I would experiment with doing.

Make the dough as per usual. Leave to proof and all that stuff. When you get to stage where you gently flatten it out into a rectangle for the final shaping, this is when I'd 'butter' the top with honey and probably coarsely chopped walnuts and then form my loaf. I press my dough into a rectangle and then sort of do a tight roll toward me, starting from the narrow end furthest away from me, spreading the dough behind the roll with each roll until it is as wide as my tin. If you do it that way, you'd create a sort of pinwheel effect.

That is just my opinion and how I'd try for the first time to see what happened. I'd remember not to spread the honey out to the very edges or honey will leak all into the tin and burn.

korbo, Apr 15, 4:29am
My bread recipe calls for 2teaspoons sugar, would I use 2 teaspoons of honey !