7adults & 6 kids how to cater 4 them

sue164, Apr 15, 9:10pm
There are some picky eaters among them . It is a Bday. Sof/male cake ideas !& would it be best to buffet or try and seat them .Finger foods!or meal.Help!

jimmy2102, Apr 15, 9:22pm
Lasagne and salad
Hot ham,salads, crusty bread
Cake wise anything home made is a winner, carrot cake, choc cake

dezzie, Apr 15, 9:53pm
Buffet is best for large numbers, and finger foods, some cold meat, a hot dish (say soy and honey chicken nibbles or drumsticks), salads, saussie rolls, bread cases with sweetcorn and bacon in, cherrios with sauce in a bowl for dipping is always popular with the kids, few green salads, pasta salad, garlic bread, then desserts, kids love chocolate eclairs etc, fruit salad, ice cream, pav, cheesecake, then birthday cake with coffee afterwards.

zirconium, Apr 15, 10:02pm
We often feed that many, always buffet, everyone brings a plate. :)

nik12, Apr 16, 10:55am
I would do my cheats lasanga.1.5kg mince, few onions, 2 pkts spiral pasta, 2 tins pasta sauce, 2 tins flavoured tomatoes.
Brown mince and onions, chuck tins in and let simmer for a bit.
Cook pasta.
Mix the two together carefully in your roasting dish, then tip 3 cups cheese sauce over the top. Make in advance and warm through (takes a good half hour) prior to serving.
Serve with bread rolls and salad.Get everyone to line up at the bench and serve themselves (kids with parents help).
Pudding - apple crumble in another roasting dish with ice cream.
Our new World has big catering bags of cooked apple with the tins, they are totally yummy and perfect for apple crumb! The huge bag cost about $7 so quite economical too.

donnabeth, Apr 16, 11:17am
If you have room in your oven, a big dish of potato wedges roasted with onions, parsnips, pumpkin and rosemary goes down well. Cheap, easy adn filling. Never any left in my place no matter how much extra I think i'm making.
(it's an excellent standby to feed a group of hungry teenage boys hanging out)

sarahb5, Apr 16, 9:55pm
I just did a buffet meal for family and friends for my daughter's 21st - 20 people ranging in age from 12 to 81.We had nuts, olives, chips and dip when people got here then dinner was butter chicken, lasagne or ham with rice, mixed roast vegetables, green salad and coleslaw.I got the guests to bring dessert so that took the pressure off me because I don't have the storage space to do that much dessert as well as dinner then we had the birthday cake.If I'd done dessert I would've stuck to just ice cream though in a choice of 3 flavours to suit everyone and maybe a bowl of fresh fruit.

cgvl, Apr 16, 11:32pm
I've just been to a family reunion and we had corned silverside, coleslaw and a pasta salad with a small bread bun, dessert was apple crumble with custard. The custard was the bought type and our meals were all served, then once everyone had food any left over was help yourself.
Another night we had a lovely beef casserole, potato/pumpkin/kumara bake and broccoli, and a chocolate cake again served with custard. The last evening was a BBQ and a couple of salads, with fruit salad and ice cream. It was all self catered and for 70 mainly adults. I don't know the amounts of food as I wasn't involved in the catering side but there was more than enough for all.