Frozen blue cod

cake4, Apr 13, 11:08pm
I caught some blue cod near Stewart Island in January.
I bought some home frozen and have just found it.
Is it too old now!
and what is a good way to cook it!
Thanks.I really am a fish novice so any tips greatly appreciated :)

beaker59, Apr 13, 11:47pm
If it was treated well in the beginning it will be fine though getting towards the end of its freezer life. Too long frozen isn't a food safety issue just a quality issue. Thaw it slowly and then if a bit mushy, then use for fish cakes or similar. While I personally am not a fan of Blue Cod I hear it does freeze well so I am guessing it will be fine.

rainrain1, Apr 14, 12:08am
Blue Cod is a beautiful fish, one of the nicest.Flour it and fry in half butter, half oil, or bake in oven.Or flour, egg and crumb it, or batter it, make fish pie, fish cakes.a very versatile fish when it comes to cooking.Enjoy!

littleblackhen, Apr 16, 2:34am
We just dip blue cod in beaten egg mixture,then in Diamond Coat in cook (original/seafood) then just fry it.

blackbriar, Apr 17, 12:27am
We have some blue cod which was caught in January in the freezer also.I just thaw it, steam it and use it in a fish pie - delicious!

iman007, Apr 17, 2:05am
i cooked blue cad from stewart island from xmas as well about 3 weeks ago, it was to die for, the best fish imho.
I did mine like this,flour with s and p in a bowl and another bowl cup of flour or even 2 cups! 2 eggs and i use tiger beer, its a lager and goes really well with it.A bottle 300mls beer and make a thickish batter. Dip fish in flour then coat with batter and deep fry, awesome fish meal.I cut my fillets reasonably thin 20mm or so. Tartare sauce yum