I want to make toasted muesli please

tramore, Apr 26, 10:40pm
I love toasted muesli and it must be cheaper to make your own than to buy it.Please can anyone give me simple recipes!

jimmy2102, Apr 26, 11:26pm
This is a rough guide can vary quantity
One kg oats,1/4 cup tasteless oil,
1/4 cup honey melted
Toss al together add pumpkin,sunflower, almonds or any nut you like
Toast at 180 degrees for about an hour or so
Keep turning as once it starts to brown it goes really fast.
I add coconut chip for the last five mins it browns quicklr
You can also add sesame seed, linseeds

When cool add dry fruit
I love dried blueberries and cranberries and diced apricot.
Again you can add what you like.

timturtle, Apr 26, 11:36pm
I use the microwave, and it only takes about 8 minutes, stir every 2 mins until it browns.

245sam, Apr 27, 12:06am
tramore, IMO not only is homemade toasted muesli cheaper than buying it ready-made, it is better because you know exactly what is in it, you can be sure that there are no additives that are best avoided and you can tailor-make it according to your own/your household's personal tastes, adding fruit, nuts, etc of your own choice and leaving out anything that isn't liked, etc.Here are the two recipes that I use.

MUESLI{1}
6 cups (690g) rolled oats
1½ cups (250g) pumpkin seeds
1 cup each ofsesame seeds (150g)andsunflower seeds (145g)
1 cup unblanched sliced almonds (115g)
ORother raw unsalted nuts of choice, chopped
½ cup honey (180g)
½-¾ cup oil - I use rice bran oil
about 1 cup dried fruit (see note below)

Gently heat the honey and oil together until blended.Stir the honey and oil into the rolled oats and seeds.Spread the mixture out in roasting dish(es) and toast in the oven on a low heat, until lightly toasted - check and stir frequently - do not leave any more than about 5 minutes between checks.It will take at least 20-30 minutes to toast right through.Remove from the oven and leave to cool, stirring every so often.
When cool enough add the dried fruit.
Store in a large cereal container and enjoy with yoghurt and fresh fruit.
Makes 1•535 Kg before the addition of the fruit.
Note:Use dried fruit(s) of choicee.g.chopped apricots,apples,raisins,cranberries,pineapple, yoghurt raisins, etc.

MUESLI{2}
300g quick cook oats
100g wheatgerm
100g of chopped almondsorchopped cashew nuts
3 tbsp oil - I use rice bran oil
9 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla essence
50g each ofraisinsandsultanas

Mix all the ingredients together, except the fruit, and spread out on a baking paper lined-tray.
Bake at 140°Cforabout 45 minutes, or until golden and toasted.Stir every 10 minutes so that it doesn't burn.Once it has cooled, break it up into smaller pieces or chunks and add the fruit.Store in an airtight container.

Hope that helps.:-))

tramore, May 22, 1:19am
Thank you for the ideas and recipes.I'll try them!

vampiriousmist, May 22, 1:31am
I now want to make my own muesli also ! Thanks for the tips ! :)

dreamers, May 22, 1:56am
I add Orange juice to the oil and honey and melt all together,then stir into the other ingredients and microwave.I also use bran flakes and whatever dried fruit I buy on special.

sandy14, May 22, 4:09am
I can't find recipe but used to make a really good Alison Holst one using malt extract.Had all the usual ingredients in it and she suggested adding any oddments left in weetbix/cornflake packets which is a good way of using them up.Don't think the recipe was from a cook book of hers, seem to recall it was from a newspaper article if anyone has it !Otherwise I would guess by trial and error - maybe soften half a cup of maltexo with say 100 gms butter.The malt did give a nice taste.

supercook, May 22, 8:48am
I agree with everyone but I add cinnamon it gives a great favour !

vinee, May 22, 7:03pm
I do it in a wok or fry pan. You get an even "toast" that way and you dont have to turn on that big ole oven, saving even more money!
I also don't put the fruit in it - I put them in a wee bowl and cover with boiling water to plump them up, real yum.