Food dehydrator, good idea?

cnf, Apr 22, 5:24am
I am thinking of buying a food drier, ideal snack for athletes! Are they worth it or just a fad that quickly loses it appeal, any advice appreciated!

lilyfield, Apr 22, 5:37am
depends. during my tramping days i used it heaps, made all the meals and fruit and leathers for several days away.

Not so much lately as the power consumption is quite high. But if you have free apples etc then its worth while.
They also hold their value and easy to sell on TM later on.

makespacenow, Apr 22, 5:42am
Yes. They are worth it. I am lucky my friendly neighbour lets me borrow hers. You can use oven on lowest setting too.
My kids including toddler love jerky, fruit leathers, dried fruit (blueberries are their fav atm).herbs verge crisp (we do beetroot, carrots, parsing and sweet potato) .

cnf, Apr 22, 5:53am
yum, thank you, hubby does a lot of tramping TRYING to shoot deer, so might come in handy for him too .

jag5, Apr 22, 11:54pm
Use mine all the time.have it going today drying feijoas.

Would suggest you don't waste your money on a Sunbeam.okay for doing herbs or flowers not heavy duty stuff.

I have a Harvest Maid.brilliant.if you plan on doing a lot with it.well worth the investment.

cnf, Apr 23, 2:57am
Oh Thank you, havn't heard of Harvest Maid, and yes I intend to do feijoas, thanks for your input :)

lilyfield, Apr 23, 3:54am
Harvest Maid-------+1

lilyfield, Apr 23, 3:54am
Harvest Maid-------+1

and get as many trays as you can afford including the solid ones for leathers