Agee preserving - syrup has escaped

picxie, Apr 22, 12:22am
I preserved some feijoas last night . most of the jars are fine, but a couple seem to have had some of the syrup escape, so there's about 2cm of air up the top and the feijoas are out of the liquid. Couple of questions . how did this happen!! And will the feijoas be fine or should I open the jar and use them/freeze them! I'd rather not have to do that but don't want them to go to waste either :(

geldof, Apr 22, 12:33am
You need to see if they are still sealed, then decide what to do.If they are sealed they should be fine, but the exposed feijoas may discolour.
I only ever use the overflow method when preserving, so the only query I would have is did you make sure there were no air bubbles trapped before you put the seals on!

picxie, Apr 22, 12:50am
Yep, they are completely sealed. And yep, I did release the air bubbles before putting the lids on. The only thing I can think off is that I did two batches before I put them in the preserver. The first batch of fruit cooked longer, and these ones have had no noticable syrup escape. The second batch of fruit did not cook so long (the first batch I considered to be overcooked) and it was these jars that have had the syrup escape. So perhaps there was air inside the fruit that had not escaped during the cooking process! The first batch of fruit had cooked longer and the air inside the fruit had escaped better!