Baking for a date, ideas?

takemeopshoppin, Apr 21, 12:43pm
I have a date coming up and he's taking me on a picnic (hopefully weathers good!) and he said he would take care of food but i said i would bake.
What should I bake!! Do guys have a preference!

Ty

gardie, Apr 21, 7:15pm
You could make mini quiches.Spray some non stick muffin tins and pop a piece of steamed salmon in the bottom, add a few capers and some spinach leaves then mix together eggs and cream, salt and pepper and pour this over.Bake around 150 degrees until cooked (20 - 25 mins).Cool in tins slightly before removing.Delicious cold or you could take the just cooked tins with you.
A nice caramel slice goes down well with guys - there a Jo seagars oat slice I've just made - the recipe half way down the page in the thread near this one.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 9:52pm
If someone said they were taking care of the food then I'd be looking at the liquid part. Water, a bottle of wine or sparkling wine, ice cold beer and some nice glasses.

I'd also pack things that I love - maybe smoked salmon and cream cheese (he's sure to pack crusty bread), olives and a homemade pesto.

firemansgirl, Apr 21, 9:57pm
Oooh yummy - picnic at buzzy110's place!

willyow, Apr 22, 1:02am
Anyone got a recipe fora love potion!

elliehen, Apr 22, 1:07am
LOVE POTION
Serve in Shot Glass: alcohol 18%

Scale ingredients to servings
1 oz vodka
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1 oz peach schnapps
1 oz orange juice
1 oz cranberry juice
ice cubes

Pour ingredients into a shaker with ice, shake and serve on the rocks.

Source: Google

blueskyday, Apr 22, 1:17am
a banana cake is usually popular. hope the dates goes well and let me know if the love potion works. hehe

willyow, Apr 22, 1:22am
Sounds a lot more promising than quiche!

takemeopshoppin, Apr 22, 9:48am
haha! thats a good idea miri_s

for sure try and see how potent this love potion is.

Thanks guys, taking some smoked trout quiches and a few ciders

winnie231, Apr 22, 10:10am
GOSH!
Am I the only other single foodie out there!
If I was going on a date & he was taking care of the food . and I offered to bake it would definitively be something sweet he would be expecting me to bring!
If you turn up with some scrumptious main course food like you mentioned above you will put him in an uncomfortable position with what ever he comes up with.
To a bloke (or most blokes) baking means baking!
I hope it's not too late for you to whip up a chocolate brownie to die for :) This will win you lots of brownie points for sure!
I'm not wanting to spoil your evening . on the contrary . as a mature dater I hope my comments help your potential romance :)

miri_s, Apr 22, 12:34pm
S.O.S. needed for the OP:

"baking! no, no I never said "baking" ---- it was I'll bring the bacon".

nik12, Apr 22, 1:05pm
Agree with this! She said she'd bring baking - that means lovely decandent muffins with chocolate in the middle or chewy sweet biscuits. maybe a mud cake with lavish ganach icing, or something sneaky with cream cheese in the middle - I've packed all my books, someone help!
Actually. what about a good old sponge with rasberry jam and whipped cream in the middle. OP check out the back of the cornflour box for a good sponge recipe :-)

music_note, Apr 22, 1:09pm
+100 - he said he'll bring the food, so baking means something sweet to me too - chocolate brownie, ginger crunch, or if you know something of his favourite flavours, baking, etc, make something that'll show him you've noticed what he likes. He'll definitely notice that you've noticed!
And never, never, never discourage him from bringing the food - start as you mean to go on, and graciously accept - and enjoy your picnic together - who knows, this shared meal might be the very beginning of a lifetime of shared meals, where you'll be wanting to share the eating, and the cooking too.

pickles7, Apr 22, 8:08pm
I for one think if you can lure him back to yours, with a hint of baking something "sweet" for him, you could be onto something big. Your call if it takes hours to bake or just minutes.

takemeopshoppin, Apr 24, 12:48pm
Haha nice feedback guys!
I took red velvet fudge brownies and cider, the gods were good to me and they came out perf, i offered he take the rest back with him and he snatched them up straight away :)
Relationship column forming haha

elliehen, Apr 24, 1:00pm
Well done!What food and drink did he bring!

kiwitel, Apr 24, 7:32pm
Tried to do a search for your red velvet fudge brownies- they sound delicious. Any chance of the recipe!

rairai4, Apr 25, 10:03am
Hi Op, or anyone else, can you please tell me what the pink face besides yr post means. Just curious as someone put one up when they replied to one of my post. Good luck with your date and def do the sweet thing

elliehen, Apr 25, 11:04am
Usually means slightly sheepish, self-conscious admiration :)

elliehen, Apr 25, 11:04am
It can mean slightly sheepish, self-conscious admiration :)

miri_s, Apr 25, 11:08am
Maybe the mystery poster is in luuuuurve with rairai!

rairai4, Apr 25, 12:02pm
Lol now wouldn't that be something lol Thanx Miri