Favorite herb and/or spice?

tahmoh, Apr 17, 10:07am
I really enjoy a lot of herbs and spices and accept that some work better than others for a number of reasons. I have to say that IMHO, coriander leaf is a cringe inducer. It reminds me of the smell of weeds as I pull them from the ground. That's plural "weeds" btw.
I have to say, I love +thyme+. Love it. It's a delightful base flavour and amenable to many dishes. When I first moved into a flat here in Christchurch in 1984(!), the new flatty made some wholemeal scones. I couldn't pinpoint the flavour I could taste. I could discern the garlic and wholemeal flour but it ended up that the magic ingredient was thyme. I'm not overstating things when I say that from that time on, my life changed. I now made macaroni cheese with confidence. So much so that I still have people ask, "what is in this! It tastes amazing."I continued to make garlic&thyme wholemeal scones and do 'til this day.
I love cinnamon, paprika and turmeric, as well. Not that I'm ruling out all the other options but I guess it would be fair to say that there are some that I always have within easy reach.

tahmoh, Apr 17, 10:43am
Cheers ellenhen. Today is the first time I've dipped my toes into the "recipes" paddling pool
So, in saying that, do you have a favourite herb! Of course the onion family are a given but many of us can't tolerate them or just don't like them at all. Some don't even appreciate that onions are a herb and/or what that implies. Oh dear., I'm going off on one of my rants. Nevermind. Love my herbs

elliehen, Apr 17, 11:12am
Starting a new thread brings in new people with new enthusiasms.It's all good!I just wanted to point you in the direction of some interesting replies from an earlier thread.

Regular poster on Trade Me, fisher, loves his herbs and has his own website.You might like to have a peek at it.He's always willing to answer herby questions too :)

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/herbs.htm

falcon-hell, Apr 17, 7:28pm
cinnamon-anything that has cinnamon in it is usually delicious,and comforting.

terachaos, Apr 18, 2:35am
Cumin

arielbooks, Apr 18, 3:45am
Parsley would have to be the number one most used herb, followed by thyme, corriander, oregano, basil and chives. Spices pepper, corriander, cumin, nutmeg, cloves and chillie though I also use various varieties of paprika, ginger, cinnamon quills and ground, cardamum, star anise and carraway. Not sure where garlic fits but I love that tooLOL