Cast Iron newbie - help/advice please

ace441, Apr 5, 8:40am
Today I purchased 2 cast iron skillets and a large fry pan to give cast iron a go. To season them, I brushed them all with grapeseed oil - inside and out - as recommended and have baked them in the oven at 180 C for an hour, turned the oven off and am now waiting for them to cool down (in the oven). My question is when they have cooled won't they be all greasy and 'sticky' from the oil! and if I can only wash them in hot water without soap, how do I get rid of the greasiness! Also, is there anything a cast iron newbie should know before cooking with them - do I cook exactly the same way I have with 'normal' fry pans! T Lastly, how often should they be seasoned - the instructions just said season regularly! Thanks in advance

beaker59, Apr 5, 11:08am
If you use it regularly it won't need reseasoning. They wash up well with plain hot water out of the tap and never seem greasy or oily. It does make a mess of the dish brush though so I throw those in the dishwasher most nights. It will take a few weeks of steady use to get the full non stick effect.

sooseque, Apr 5, 11:24am
I find if you cook something quite liquid like spaghetti bolognese/chilli con carne etc. it seems to diminish the non stick effect, must leach out the oil but is easy to season back again.They are brilliant, just need good strong arms.

cookessentials, Apr 5, 8:31pm
#1 wipe any excess off with a paper towel. When you have used it just wash in hot water with no detergent. wipe inside with a little oil then wipe off excess again with a paper towel. You can store the skillets with a paper towel between each if they are to be stored any length of time. You can also purchasepre-seasoned cast iron under the "Lodge " brand.

ace441, Apr 6, 5:45am
Found this link - fascinating stuff - Who would have have thought my cast iron purchase would lead to a chemistry lesson!http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/