Bread maker question

cake4, Apr 7, 12:21am
Hi guys, I have an old breadmaker that I grabbed out from the back of the cupboard today with the intention of making bread (no kidding you say)Well it worked last time I used it, butthat was 2 years ago.Today when I turn it on it just sits there.From memory they usually atart stirring immediately don't they!I definitely dont have it on extended timer, so I'm guessing it's kaput!!Any clues before I chuck it out!

joybells2, Apr 7, 12:29am
No, mine doesnt anyway, they sit there for a while before mixing, are the lights going, if they are then I would say its alright.

cake4, Apr 7, 12:33am
yep the lights are on, I have decided to leave it for a while and see what it does/doesn't do hehe.Here's hoping!

disneylanddream, Apr 7, 12:35am
Hi there. I use a breadmaker that is about 10 years old. My Mum gave it to me before she passed away. I use it a lot! No, it doesnt start mixing instantly. My one takes about 20 minutes before the actual mixing etc starts. The reason for this is because the unit slowly heats the ingredients to the correct level first. Yeast is a fussy thing and needs the right temp etc. Good Luck!

lillol, Apr 7, 2:38am
I've just been given an old one too and turned it on and waited, waited, waited. Then I thought to myself perhaps it only works if you actually have ingredients in there etc. So I put the flour, oil, yeast, water and salt in there and followed the instructions and Bobs your uncle, 3 hours later beautiful fresh smelling yummy bread. I was rapt actually :)

cake4, Apr 7, 2:54am
hehe well yep mine started doing something after 20 min or so, the bread is rising now and will bake shortly I guess :)I'm absurdly excited, I keep lifting the lid and peeking inside.Miss 13 old me off saying 'The bread won't rise if you keep doing that, Mum!"

roshu, Apr 7, 4:21am
Lifting the lid can make your loaf sink in the middle.

pheebs1, Apr 7, 5:13am
let us know how it goes!

cake4, Apr 7, 5:45am
yay it worked, was a little ummm.stodgy lol. Tasty though.Have another loaf in now, this one will cook with no peeking :)

cake4, Apr 7, 8:39am
thanks I will try ittonight :)

kinna54, Apr 7, 9:28am
Bump. forgot to add that if your machine doesn't have a french setting, then look for a setting that takes around 3 1/2 hrs. It is the slower rising and cooking which makes the bread light.

cake4, Apr 7, 8:49pm
it turned out great kinna :)We actually set it to run overnight with the timer and woke up to almost baked bread.Will definitely be making it again.

torrigreen, Apr 7, 9:00pm
I have a Panasonic SD257 and it makes amazing bread!I use the "medium" size one and make a fresh loaf every day.The kids love having fresh bread every day for school lunches.On at night with timer, ready by 6am, slicing by 7.30am and I always make sure I get the end crust pieces as they are sooo yummy!
I made my very first hot cross buns 2 days ago using my breadmaker and the recipe it came with, and they were beautiful! Even the dough for the crosses were perfect!
Our breadmaker has a "sandwich" cycle, and it comes out exactly like the store bought sandwich bread (cycle is 5 hours, but sooo worth it!).Nothing goes to waste as any left over bread is used for toast or afternoon tea.Only costs about 80c a loaf too, so really economical!
Enjoy all your fresh bread!:)