Garlic Sauce

cjdnzl, Apr 6, 9:05am
How would I go about making garlic sauce!Nice, thick, blackish spicy garlic sauce.Used to get it from a friend from somewhere in New Plymouth (I think) but she is now in Canada, so I wondered about making it.Anyone with a recipe or ideas please!

winnie231, Apr 6, 7:19pm
Garlic and Apple Ketchup

750g apples, 250g garlic, 1.5lt malt vinegar, thumb-size piece root ginger-bruised, 3 chillies-split, 2 tbsp whole cloves, 4 tsp salt, 4 tbsppeppercorns, 500g treacle.
Chop apples, skin and cores includedSeparate garlic cloves but don't peel. Combine all ingredients except treacle in large pot and boil gently for approx 1 hour or until apples pulpy and garlic soft. Rub through strainer or mouli andreturn to cleaned pot.Add treacle and bring to the boil
Boil 5 min and then pourinto hot, clean bottles and seal.
This sauce is best if left to mature several months before using - but it's worth the wait!

cjdnzl, Apr 6, 10:58pm
Thank you for your reply Winnie.Sounds good I will give it a shot.
ETA to ask if there needs to be any water when boiling, or is the apple juice sufficient!

cjdnzl, Apr 7, 7:10am
Dammit, I missed the litre and a half of vinegar, no water needed obviously.Apologies.

winnie231, Apr 7, 8:46am
I hope you give it a go :)
I like the fact that there's no peeling, etc involved. So easy to make & the end result is SOOO tasty!

fisher, Apr 7, 2:19pm
Tis very nice indeed I can attest.I used it as a marinade as well for a number of things. even rolled some homemade (not by me)"snarlers" around in it for an afternoon.tasted magic on the BBQ.

trade_to_you, Apr 7, 2:22pm
yum garilc, gotta love it