Butter milk mystery

kiwiguy47, Mar 28, 7:20pm
hi all, got some butter milk, am wondering what to do with it! cheese perhaps! your thoughts please

pheebs1, Mar 28, 8:05pm
usefull in lots of baking scones, muffins etc

pheebs1, Mar 28, 8:06pm
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup currants (optional)
1 tablespoon heavy cream, for brushing

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Add butter and mix with your fingertips to a coarse meal. Add buttermilk and mix just until combined. Add currants, if desired.

Transfer dough to a floured board and divide into 2 parts. Roll each to 3/4 inch thick rounds. Cut each round into 8 wedges and place slightly separated on a greased baking sheet. Brush the tops with the cream, and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm, split in half with butter and marmalade.

pheebs1, Mar 28, 8:07pm
butter milk pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/2 teaspoon for griddle

Directions

Heat griddle to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons butter; whisk to combine. Batter should have small to medium lumps.
Heat oven to 175 degrees. Test griddle by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. If water bounces and spatters off griddle, it is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush remaining 1/2 teaspoon of butter or reserved bacon fat onto griddle. Wipe off excess.
Using a 4-ounce ladle, about 1/2 cup, pour pancake batter, in pools 2 inches away from one other. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.
Repeat with remaining batter, keeping finished pancakes on a heatproof plate in oven. Serve warm.

pheebs1, Mar 28, 8:08pm
buttermilk corn bread
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

pheebs1, Mar 28, 8:10pm
try a little in mashed potatoes!

cookessentials, Mar 28, 8:34pm
The only scone I make is a buttermilk scone which stays soft even the next day. I have copy and pasted this off our website for you. I make large scones, so it would make about 6-8 large ones. They are lovely with a good,fruity jam such as strawberry and softly whipped cream.

Buttermilk Scones.(Makes 16)
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

fronta1, Mar 28, 8:48pm
its used in Red Velvet Cake, google some recipes.

beebs, Mar 29, 2:08am
you can also use is as a marinade for chicken.if you look at southern fried chicken type recipes online they recommend using it for extra juicy chicken, i have used it and it is great to use in this way

buzzy110, Mar 29, 3:19am
Tastes rather nice to just drink as well.

ant_sonja, Mar 29, 3:27am
Yes, nice to drink on its own or you can add fruit & mix in blender smoothie style.

a_n_h, Mar 29, 6:46am
Soda bread. mmmm

lucky3211, Mar 30, 6:12am
where do i get buttermilk from!

phoenix10111, Mar 30, 8:04pm
it's usually in the supermarket with the regular milk

torichic, Jul 10, 1:30pm
,,or make your own.2 C milk and1/4 C white vinegar,,leave til it curdles(about half an hour).i make it and the scones are BEAUTIFUL!

myboylollipop, Jul 10, 9:59pm
I soak chicken drumsticks in it overnight and then flour them next day and then fry in oil,they stay really moist even when reheated.
Yes I know fattening,but it's something you have once in a blue moon.

wheelz, Jul 11, 12:13am
That is 'soured' milk. not 'cultured' buttermilk.
I triple my buttermilk by mixing it with normal milk and putting it in my yoghurt maker until done.

mamabecs, Jul 11, 5:37am
Buttermilk can be added to fresh cream to make your own sour cream.Depending on what you have, it may be cheaper.

uli, Oct 27, 3:50am
bump for more uses as I have lots coming at the moment.

sarahb5, Oct 27, 6:23am
One Pan Chocolate Cake with Ganache Icing
115g or 1/2 cup butter
125 g dark chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
1 3/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Icing
50 g butter
50 g dark chocolate
Method :
Heat oven to 180 deg C. Grease a 22cm tin. Dust with cocoa.
Heat butter and chocolate in saucepan. When melted, add sugar and vanilla. Whisk in buttermilk and eggs. Add dry ingredients, whisk until smooth. Pour batter into tin.
Bake for 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Turn out on wire rack to cool.
Heat 50 g butter and 50 g dark chocolate together in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Pour over cooled cake.

(Thanks to bev00)

tinkagirl, Oct 27, 8:25am
yep this is what I also do as so much cheaper than buying it.can also use lemon juice in stead of vinegar

sarahb5, Oct 27, 8:27am
I use 1/3 natural yoghurt and 2/3 milk

uli, Oct 28, 5:43am
As pointed out above this is "soured milk" and is not the same as "cultured butter milk". Yes it is cheaper but is has a very different taste.