Seed Cake for daleaway?

elliehen, Mar 27, 9:09pm
daleaway, I wonder if your seed cake is the one in this original Edmonds - online from Victoria University, click on the plus sign beside Recipes.

There's a really old recipe in there :)

daleaway, Mar 27, 10:13pm
Haha! Six eggs!
I have one, two and three egg recipes but six seems to be- well - over-egging the cake.
I have visited this website before, but it was good to be reminded of it. Many thanks.
It's left me with a yen now to make Elsie's Fingers - we used to encourage my grandmother to make these as her name was Elsie. Childish humour, don't you love it. And she indulged us, and made them.

elliehen, Mar 28, 12:12am
My Grandma used to make Bachelor's Buttons - little shortcake cookies rolled in sugar.Must check to see if they're there :)

daleaway, Mar 28, 1:39am
They sound just like Elsie's Fingers but with a slightly different shape.

Have you noticed in the old cookbooks, with quite a limited range of ingredients, that cutting or moulding things into different shapes was often
recommended, and the cause of a change of name!

(Then if you wanted to get really sophisticated you could put sliced tomatoes or eggs on top. Not on Elsie's Digits, of course.)

elliehen, Mar 28, 2:59am
I sometimes think that that is what some supermarket breadmakers do.make up one big batch of dough and call it ciabatta or bagels or whatever shape takes the fancy ;)

daleaway, Mar 28, 3:12am
You're so right. Sometimes I think of local bread, if dust had a flavour, this would be it.