Venison. help please

alophia, Mar 26, 4:24am
Hi there. We were recently given two smallish frozen legs of venison and would greatly appreciate advice on how to cook them. Many thanks.

lythande1, Mar 26, 5:36am

dave245, Mar 26, 6:27am
venison can be quite dry when cooked. The nicest venison I have cooked was in a slow cooker with beer and honey, it was so moist.

donna23, Mar 26, 7:10pm
soak in coca cola (yes) overnight, pat dry & roast in an oven bag. strong gamey taste gone, meat moist & tender!

mudguts2, Mar 26, 8:15pm
i have just put a roast in to marinate.
i dont normally roast it as it is dry but this was caught last weekend and had alot of fat on it.
so will just lay the fat over it.
but you can also lay rashers of bacon over to give it moisture.
You just have to be careful not to cook it to long or that will also dry it out.
why dont you do 1 leg in steaks.

beaker59, Mar 26, 11:01pm
I rarely roast Venison as it can be quite tricky. Though best way to roast is rareish with pink in the middle.

Personally as has already been suggested steak it up. If its good quality and if they are small legs then its either a young animal or a Fallow or Sika therefore top quality. To steak it then carefully seperate the muscle groups then slice the pieces across the grain, avoiding the worst of the silver skin, into steaks about 1.5cm thick. Any scraps make excellent casserole meat and the bones good stock.