Have gluten free friend coming for dinner.

Page 1 / 2
justme..., Mar 22, 5:09am
and I would like to make stuffed red peppers but can't think what to serve them with, am I being daft or what!Inspiration please.TIA

davidt4, Mar 22, 5:14am
Serve the peppers with a big green salad and some roasted kumara.Gluten-free is easy as long as you don't use grains or convenience foods.

If you want to make a dessert you can make a flourless chocolate cake or something creamy like pannacotta or lemon posset.

cappucino1, Mar 22, 5:15am
Try this link.It has lots of ideas for gluten free side dishes.Not sure what sort of thing you are thinking of but it might give you some inspiration.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Recipes/Gluten-Free/Side-Dishes/Top.aspx

buzzy110, Mar 22, 5:15am
Just make sure you don't have any grains. It is easy.

Potatoes and every other vegetable are fine.

Protein from either fish, animals, pulses, tofu, tempeh, spirulina is fine.

Nuts, seeds, tea, coffee, wine, spirits and chesses and cream are fine.

To be on the safe side stay away from all processed foods. Use fresh herbs, your own ground spices, salt and pepper are fine.

From this you have a world of choices.

What sort of things do you think you'd like to serve!

justme..., Mar 22, 5:16am
Yeah I was thinking maybe salad, kumara are my favourite too, so that may just work.I actually have a gf recipe for carrot cake that I want to try out on her!Thanks heaps.

justme..., Mar 22, 5:16am
Oh, wow.thanks people!Can anyone tell me if that cream cheese icing is ok!

buzzy110, Mar 22, 5:18am
That sounds interesting. A flour free carrot cake. I'm sure others would appreciate the recipe when you have some free time and want to share.

justme..., Mar 22, 5:23am
Ok buzzy, will put recipe here soon.

justme..., Mar 22, 5:29am
Gluten Free Carrot Cake

Ingredients

* Serves 16

* 500g (3 large) grated carrots
* 3 eggs
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp nutmeg
* 3 cups (300g) almond meal
* 1/4 cup (60ml) macadamia nut oil
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1 cup raisins
* 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder

Method

Preheat oven to 160C. Combine carrot, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond meal, oil, honey, raisins and baking powder. Mix well until combined.

Pour into a prepared 20-centimetre baking tin and bake for one hour to 1½ hours, or until cooked through.

Cover if necessary with foil. Remove from oven and cool completely in the tin, then turn out. Serve alone or topped with thick natural yoghurt, or a topping of your choice. It keeps in the fridge for up to five days.

Nutrition each serve: protein, 5.7 grams; carbs, 13 grams; total fat, 15 grams (saturated, 1.6 grams); kilojoules, 887. Gluten-free, low GI.

cappucino1, Mar 22, 6:32am
The icing will be fine as long as you make sure that the icing sugar is not made with wheat starch.Most sugars aren't but apparently sometimes manufacturers change the manufacturing process for icing sugar to include wheat starch.

roshu, Mar 23, 10:56pm
Rice and Quinoa are gluten free.

petal-pickle, Mar 24, 9:30pm
Just an update for those who are interested:

We ended up having roasted red peppers filled with butter chicken, roasted kumara and a nice green salad with mixed leaves, feta, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and olives.
For dessert I made a lemon cheesecake.
The whole meal was delicious and very simple, thanks for all your help and suggestions.

buzzy110, Mar 24, 9:38pm
justme/petal-pickle - thank you so much for that recipe. It is now saved in case some one else, in the future wants just such a recipe.

Your meal sounded perfect. I hope your guests enjoyed it.

seano7, Mar 28, 12:02am
Hi I am a coeliac and I can tell you now sprits are not fine. there is a company called frillys and there a dedicated gf kitchen who supply food all over nz and its just yum. You need to be careful as vegetable oils marj all contain gluten or a form of it. Instad of roasting kumera like thats what we dont get when we go out. do nachos with plain flavoured nacho chips. beans mince. Have fun

buzzy110, Mar 28, 12:07am
Can you clarify a few things for me please!

What are sprits!

What does this sentence mean! "Instad of roasting kumera like thats what we dont get when we go out".

I just don't want to make any mistakes.

Is it absolutely necessary to buy goods from Frilly's! Is it possible that we can make it ourselves!

seano7, Mar 28, 1:02am
You can make it but they really know what they are doing. beer spirits it has what in it wheat and they way its distilled. So tell me if you went out and only ever got offered roast veges and a penotage of veges would that be acceptable people need to take challanges. now gluten if you have a gluten in your kitchen you have gluten everywhere. I have see some people at a gf talk have a beatroot gf cake made in a kitchen with gluten and had a hard core reaction. so I believe yes. If you cause someone to have a reaction it is not nice. I hope that answers it. do look at frillys they really have nice product its all naturalgf wheat free.

frances1266, Mar 28, 4:04am
50% of celiacs also cannot tolerate dairy

buzzy110, Mar 28, 4:57am
That is true of my friend along with eggs.

vmax2, Mar 28, 5:00am
But you do not have to have these allergies forever.It is possible to heal your body so you can then tolerate these foods well.Unless of course you get anaphylactic reactions to them.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 28, 5:00am
Blimey - is that English up there at #16!

waswoods, Mar 28, 7:18am
I did wonder what a "penotage of vegetables is"

bedazzledjewels, Mar 28, 7:55am
It sounds quite sexy!

seano7, Mar 28, 9:05pm
it is a mix of veges

shellie72, Mar 29, 1:21am
Hey there, Im a coeliac also and a lot of people who put in a great deal of effort making GF food often get caught out by the tiniest thing. Check ALL your condiments and baking ingrediants. For example Edmonds baking powder is safe, Hansells is not. Just one little drop is enough to cause a (painfull) reaction.

buzzy110, Mar 29, 3:17am
This is also true but how many people can be bothered seeking out and reading books like Breaking The vicious Circle by Elaine Gottschall, BA, M.Sc, or even bothering to check up on the GAPs diet.

If I were coeliac I'd do anything to get better and have already read the book just in case. Lol. It is a pity my friend won't. She is 10 times smarter than the average person but has a blind spot when it comes to her problem.