Uses for fresh peaches?

nickbeam, Feb 27, 3:42am
I have just got a bowl of peaches off my tree and wondering what i could bake with them!
Pondered about a crumble. but all recipes use canned peaches - is there much difference using fresh!

harrislucinda, Feb 27, 3:45am
no ! slicethempoachnicepeach jam

nickbeam, Feb 27, 3:50am
i wouldnt have a clue how to make jam! let alone the fuss of sterilising the jars.

davidt4, Feb 27, 4:13am
I have lately been making a Sicilian dessert of peaches stuffed with almonds, cinnamon, currants.Let me know if you would like the recipe.

diamond-fan, Feb 27, 4:29am
You can use the fresh peaches in place of the canned one, they will taste so much better if they are nice juicy peaches. If really ripe just use the flesh as it is, peach cobbler or crumble is very nice, or just soften the fruit by poaching for a few minutes in water (add a little sugar if necessary).Another great use for fruit at this time of the year, which isn't baked, is turn it into sorbet, it is so refreshing and easy to make as long as you have a blender or food processor.

margyr, Feb 27, 4:35am
Ihave been reading here how people freeze jam in icecream containers it does not set hard and you can just scoop out some when needed, this appeals to me so may try it one day.

makespacenow, Feb 27, 6:02am
Hey steriliding jars is easy.wash in warm soapy water or dishwasher.place in an oven at 100°c for half hour.fill with hot jam while still warm.
Jam.or fruit spread as I do not like using too much sugar.
1kg of chopped peaches.few kernels from dtones 200g of sugar juice of half lemon 2gm of pectin powder.
You can also make peach & ginger jam, peach & passionfruit jam.peach liwuor.peach & cardamon chutney.

kinna54, Feb 27, 6:45am
There was a recipe recently either inin the countdown mailer or their food guide.I remember reading it in the junk mailIt was made with fresh nectarines or peachesand a sweet shortcake base.
I'm sure it could be done with just a packaged sweet short pastry base, and the fresh fruit.
Google Richard Till or food in a minute and see what comes up.

kinna54, Feb 27, 6:57am
Or if you want to make a crumble simply slice the peaches, and stew the peaches in a bit of water and added sugar: you can cook themin the microwave, 2-3mins, uncovered then turn and repeat, watching all the time, they don't need a lot of water as they will make their own syrup.
Then just add your crumble topping and cook in the oven until browned.
I do this all the time when I make apple crumble.

*Tip: hot fruit always makes a better crumble.

seaturtle, Feb 27, 5:39pm
dont forget the lashings of whipped cream to go on the hot crumble numm numms!

malcovy, Feb 28, 7:53am
Yes please Davidt4.

lindylambchops1, Feb 28, 8:07am
I love fresh peaches.you can drop them off at my place!Leithfield! Thanks.I will put the jug on when you arrive.

davidt4, Feb 28, 8:36am
Here you are.Lately I'm making this with a combination of peaches and plums, plus the last of the home-grown blueberries on top just before serving.It looks spectacular.

Sicilian Stuffed Peaches

serves6 - 8

6 free-stone peaches(or equivalent quantity of free-stone plums)
1 tab currants
2 tsp brandy
30g flaked almonds
50g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp cinnamon powder
40g soft butter

Soak currants in brandy 20 minutes.Meanwhile use a little of the butter to cover the base of a baking dish large enough to hold the halved peaches in one layer.

Heat oven to 200C.

Mix in a small bowl the almonds, sugar, yolks, cocoa, cinnamon the the rest of the butter.

Halve the peaches, remove the stones, enlarge to cavity a little by cutting out a thin layer of flesh.Chop the flesh and add to the bowl with the currants.

Arrange the peaches cut side up in the baking dish, fill the cavities with the mixture.Bake 25 - 30 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the peaches are tender but not collapsing.

Serve warm or cool with lots of whipped cream.

malcovy, Feb 29, 2:03am
Thanks for the recipe, it reads delicious and I am looking forward to trying it with lots of cream.

malcovy, Feb 29, 2:03am
Thanks for the recipe, it reads delicious and I am looking forward to trying it with lots of cream.
Your recipes are so neatly put together, there is no need to fix anything when copied onto Word

sarahb5, Feb 29, 2:11am
Grilled peaches - cut them in half, remove the stones, sprinkle with sugar and grill until caramelised.Delicious served with a dollop of greek yoghurt, cream or mascarpone cheese.

davidt4, Feb 29, 2:30am
Thanks!I actually write them in Pages, which is the Mac equivalent of Word, but I think TM converts everything to the same format.I do try hard to make the recipes easy to follow.

joey2221, Feb 29, 4:02am
peach sponge yum

purplegoanna, Feb 29, 4:07am
halve, de stone and drizzle honey over, grill until flesh goes soft and serve with a dollop of icecream.

bev00, Feb 28, 11:03am
bumping tis the season