Roasting lamb

charliesangel04, Feb 20, 4:24am
im roasting lamb shoulder 4 dinner tonight, its been marinated in a rosemary & garlic marinade, should i seal it still or pop it straight into the oven!

biddy6, Feb 20, 4:37am
Do you mean 'sear' it or cook it in an oven bag!

Rolled shoulder is best cooked long and slow - like 3.5 - 4 hours.
If you don't eat till late, I suggest you place it on a rack and cook as above.

charliesangel04, Feb 20, 4:39am
i mean like brown it before i roast it

fifie, Feb 20, 4:47am
Bit late now, fo but for the futurerub the meat with little oil, garlic, s/pepper. brown all sides in a hot frying pan then put it in a slow/cooker or crockpot, drizzle some balsamic vinegar over it and cook. when done take meat out and rest covered with tin foil on a plate tip juices into saucepan make a yummy gravy. Do this with rolled/ beef, beef bolar roast,rolled/ lamb,etc anything that needs to be cooked long and slow.

biddy6, Feb 20, 4:48am
No, doesn't need seared.

lythande1, Feb 20, 4:49am
Then you mean sear it. Sealing it would involve wrapping it in plastic or something.

charliesangel04, Feb 20, 5:42am
haha my bad ive always thought it was called sealing it!
thanks

charliesangel04, Feb 20, 5:43am
that sounds yummy! will definitely do that in the future
thanks

geenie11, Feb 20, 6:07am
Sounds dicey 2 me, but if you invite me 4 T.I will report back 2 the boards
Licking lips in anticipation

davidt4, Feb 20, 6:08am
It used to be believed that searing (i.e. browning on a very hot pan or grill) also sealed in the juices, but this has been tested and found to be incorrect.But a lot of cookery writers still write "sealed" when they mean "seared".

lurtz, Feb 20, 6:23am
Correct and logical.

fifie, Feb 20, 7:53am
yep it is always lovely and tender, forgot to add put a tablespoon ofchutney/relish you have in your gravy and it makes that extra yummy and tasty.