Lots of plums!

paza, Feb 19, 5:11am
Would anyone have a recipes for using up plums from our tree! I have a heap we have just picked, they are a dark red and quite sweet, I don't know their variety but are lovely. I was thinking of a jam or bottling them but have never tried either before so need an extra simple recipe please. Thanks in advance.

kinna54, Feb 19, 5:18am
Red inside: Sounds like they may be omegas, but maybe a bit early for them yet. Bottle them, if they are large cut in half and remove stone, if smaller just do whole, use the Edmonds book method, or just stew them and freeze in containers,for making delicious crumbles or just serving with ice cream or custard.
Also could make delicious plum sauce, I think pickles has posted recipes before, do a search and it's sure to come up.
Plum jam is delicious!
Ooh I would kill for them, plums are my favourite fruit.

ansypansy1, Feb 19, 5:24am
If you like fruit with your cereal for breakfast, just chuck them all in the freezer. Take some out when you want to cook them, Only put a small amount of water, maybe half a cup, in a saucepan, put the plums in, and cook till they're tender.
Can't give you an amount for sugar, depends on how many plums. If you taste while hot, it will be sour, but will sweeten as it cools, so don't add enough sugar for it to taste right while hot. If not sweet enough, you can add more when it's cold. You'll have a better idea the next time.
Plum jam is one of the easiest. There are recipes everywhere. google it.
plum chutney is delicious. google that recipe too.

paza, Feb 19, 5:25am
Thank you kinna54, I like the sound of stewing them and freezing - I know this is a silly question, but how do you stew them! Do you add sugar! Anything else! Do I need to peel them or are they ok with their skins on!
Thank you so much for your help.

kinna54, Feb 19, 5:46am
For stewing or bottling they are fine with the skins on, don't overcook, especially if bottling, they need to hold their shape in the jars.
For stewing I would add just enough water to cover them,(they will make a lot of their own syrup) and add sugar to taste, you could go to 1/2 cup sugar to 2 cups of water, taste as you go, err on the light side with the sugar in stewing, you can always add more sugar in the stewing method, with bottling you need to be more precise.
If any stones come up in the stewing just remove them with a slotted spoon.
Good luck, I'm sure they will be perfect.

pickles7, Feb 19, 6:00am
If you don't eat jam now, you won't use it.
If you like stewed plums, then bottle some or freeze.
If you like plum sauce then make sauce.
Sugar is way too expensive to throw away these days.
Give the fruit away if you cannot deal with it all.
Your local Thrift shops will sell the fruit to raise funds.
Sell them from your gate.

cookessentials, Feb 20, 3:49am
plum compote for breakfast is what i often make. Just rinse and put whole plums into large saucepan with a little water and a small amount of sugar to taste. Bring to the boil,then reduce heat and when skins start to split and peel back, just turn off the heat and pop the lid on. I often do them at night and pop the lid of the saucepan on and let them sit until morning. They are beautiful for breakfast with a little Greek yoghurt on them, or just on their own.