Beetroot!

sarahw2, Feb 18, 8:48am
What can I do with beetroot apart from eating it raw in salads please! Thanks. Is there any *sweet* recipes that I could use beetroot in! Thanks:-)

lindylambchops1, Feb 18, 9:14am
Search on Recipes am sure I heard of a chocolate cake with beetroot in.

Keyword:Beetroot chocolate cake

Date posted:Last year

lindylambchops1, Feb 18, 9:17am
Actually I can't find it on here but I just Googled, take a look here:

https://www.google.com/search!q=beetroot%20chocolate%20cake

twindizzy, Feb 18, 6:32pm
Venison and beetroot casserole !

fifie, Feb 18, 8:19pm
Haven't tried them, these look good for something sweet.
http://www.raspberricupcakes.com/2010/04/beetroot-desserts.html

auburn4, Feb 19, 9:45am
I haven't tried these either but they looked fantastic on the programme.
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/chocolate-and-beetroot-brownies/

davidt4, Feb 19, 8:15pm
This is a beautiful dark cake.From Nigel Slater.

Chocolate Beetroot Cake

250g beetroot
200g fine dark chocolate (at least 70 per cent cocoa solids)
4tbsp hot espresso
200g butter
135g plain flour
A heaped tsp of baking powder
3 tsp good-quality cocoa powder
5 eggs
190g golden caster sugar
crème fraîche and poppy seeds, to serve

20cm loose-bottomed cake tin

Lightly butter your loose-bottomed cake tin and line the base with a disc of baking parchment. Set the oven at 180ºC
2. Cook the beetroot, whole and unpeeled, in boiling unsalted water. 25 - 40 min. Drain them, let them cool under running water, then peel them, slice off their stem and root, and blitz to a rough purée.
3. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl resting over a pot of simmering water. Don't stir. When the chocolate looks almost melted, pour the hot coffee over it and stir once. Cut the butter into small pieces, the smaller the better, and add to the melted chocolate. Dip the butter down under the surface of the chocolate with a spoon (as best you can) and leave to soften.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa, set aside.
5. Separate the eggs, putting the whites in a large mixing bowl. Stir the yolks together. Now, working quickly but gently, remove the bowl of chocolate from the heat and stir until the butter has melted into the chocolate. Leave for a few minutes, then stir in the egg yolks. Do this quickly, mixing firmly and evenly so the eggs blend into the mixture. Fold in the beetroot.
6. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold in the sugar. Firmly but tenderly fold the beaten egg whites and sugar into the chocolate mixture; take care not to over mix. Lastly fold in the flour, baking powder and cocoa.
7. Transfer quickly to the prepared cake tin and put in the oven, turning the heat down immediately to 160°C or gas 3. Bake for 40 mins. The rim of the cake will feel spongy, the inner part should still wobble a little when gently shaken.
8. Leave to cool (it will sink a tad in the centre), loosen it around the edges with a palette knife after half an hour or so. It is not a good idea to remove the cake from its tin until it is completely cold. Serve in thick slices, with crème fraîche and poppy seeds.