Sour Milk.can I make cottage cheese?

lindylambchops1, Feb 18, 7:05am
I have some milk which has gone sour, can I make this into some soft cottage cheese!I will just had some vinegar to the heated milk, then strain it!What do you reckon!TIA

harrislucinda, Feb 18, 8:40am
noneedtodoitproperlyricottaismadefrommilkandvinegar
but have to heatunti l80 to 90degthen scoopout thecurdsin alinedbowlto drainthisisfrommy cheesebookihavejustmadecreamcheese

mwood, Feb 19, 12:35am
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice per cup of milk. Dash or so of salt. Microwave on high - say 1 litre (4cups)- 1 minute at at a time until hot - don't boil it :-) and put it to one side to work with a tea towel over it - when cool/cold the cheese curds will have formed - strain them off through the tea towel. If you are taking the temperature look for 80 C - 180 F)

lindylambchops1, Feb 19, 12:39am
Brilliant!thank you will give that a try.

buzzy110, Feb 19, 10:25pm
And how did that go for you lindy! It is my understanding that pasteurised milk goes bad, not sour.

lindylambchops1, Feb 20, 12:54am
OMG!just throwing the milk down the sink!

Will have a go another time :(

mwood, Feb 20, 1:56am
yes spoiled milk is bad - sour milk is good

buzzy110, Feb 20, 4:06am
Next time let your nose be your guide. Unpasteurised milk naturally sours into a yoghurt type product and still smells like milk. Pasteurised milk goes from fresh to bad - mostly - and stinks. If it isn't smelly then it may be usable but it you want to make cottage cheese from pasteurised milk it is better to start with fresh milk and cultures.