Stuffed marrow

theboss17, Feb 12, 10:16pm
any ideas

liamjosh, Feb 12, 11:34pm
Funny, was looking for similar this morning after finding a marrow when pruning my courgettes back yesterday.Found these which I might try out tonight and at a later date:

CHEESY MARROW BAKE

Scoop out the seeds and stuff it with cheesy bacon mashed potato and grate more cheese on top, the bake

SAVOURY STUFFED MARROW 
1 medium-sized vegetable marrow 
1 tbsp dripping or oil 
1 onion, chopped 
340g minced beef 
5 tsp flour 
150ml beef stock 
2 or 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped 
salt and pepper 
1 tsp vinegar 
50g-60g each of fresh breadcrumbs and grated cheese
Trim off the ends of the marrow, halve it lengthways and scoop out the seeds. If the marrow is too long for your largest saucepan, halve each section across the middle. Put the marrow halves/pieces into boiling salted water and cook them for about 15 minutes until just tender. Drain carefully and as thoroughly as possible – I tip the pieces upside down on to paper towels and allow them to drain that way, then turn them over and fill the hollows with more paper towels. 
Meanwhile heat the dripping or oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until it is beginning to brown. Add the minced beef and stir it over the heat until it is browned. Mix in the flour, stock, tomatoes, seasoning and vinegar. Simmer on a very low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally – it should be a very thick mixture - if necessary, stir in some of the breadcrumbs. 
Place the marrow halves/pieces in a baking dish, making sure that they sit upright. Fill the marrow hollows with the mince filling. Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together and sprinkle this topping over the mince filling. Pour a little water around the marrow halves/pieces, then cover the dish loosely with foil. 
Bake at 190°C for 20-30 minutes until heated through – it may be necessary to remove the foil for the last few minutes to allow the breadcrumb/cheese topping to crispen. :-))

COURGETTE AND FETA FRITTERS

Finely grate two biggish corgettes
Add about 100gms feta, a red capsicum, 1/2 onion, some bacon (precooked), some herb salt, 2 teaspoons baking powder, three eggs and mix well.
Add about 1 1/2 to 2 C flour.Mix well. isn't as runny as pikelet batter.
Make them about 1 soup spoon in size. cook them on a low temp so the corgettes cooked through and the eggs set. I find that if they cook too quick on the outside, the middle stays raw and gummy. urk. about 4 mins either side, 1 tablespoon of oil per batch.
Serve with sweet chilli sauce or with some tzatziki, yoghurt/cucumber sauce.

COURGETTE SOUP(doesnt sound particularly appealing, but its delicious, and so easy to make)

700g courgette, chopped (good for using the big ones!) 
1 large or two small onions chopped 
2 1/2 cups chicken stock (3t powder, 2 1/2 cups water) 
1/4t nutmeg 
1.5t dried sweet basil 
lotsa cracked black pepper
Put all in a pot and bring to the boil. simmer until courgettes are soft (although not too long to evaporate the liquid!)
Once cooked, put in blender and blend til smooth.

245sam, Feb 12, 11:36pm
Thanks liamjosh, I was just about to post the recipe for Savoury Stuffed Marrow.

theboss17, that Savoury Stuffed Marrow recipe is one that we have enjoyed for many years - it's easy, can be prepared ahead and is almost a meal in one.:-))

liamjosh, Feb 13, 7:54am
Made the cheesy marrow bake tonight and the family loved it, was very delicious, even enough left over for hubby's lunch tomorrow.

eastie3, Feb 13, 8:08am
Ewww,our mother would torture us with stuffed marrow when we were ungrateful little children.I wonder if I would like it now,probably not.