Would having tinfoil in the bottom of my oven

datoofairy, Feb 12, 4:34am
stop it from heating properly!
The other day I cleaned the oven for the first time since we have been in this house.When I was finished I lined the bottom with tin foil for easier cleaning next time.
Last night the girls made a chocolate pudding and put it into a well pre-heated oven but it didnt cook properly at all.When the stated cooking time was up, it was only just cooked on the top and not at all in the middle or on the bottom and the self saucing liquid hadnt even begun to thicken.
The light on the dial indicated the oven had reached temperature but when I opened the door it didnt feel hot enough at all.
A friend suggested it was because of the tin foil. Surely tin foil wouldnt stop the bottom elements from working properly! Wouldnt the heat just travel through the foil!
I'm a bit nervous about ringing the landlord if I've killed the oven with the foil.

nfh1, Feb 12, 4:39am
My oven has a plate on which says - do not place anything on the bottom shelf as it may damage the element.It is a Simpson Wall Oven.

mizzmiff, Feb 12, 4:39am
I wouldn't think the foil would have anything to do with it but maybe when you cleaned your oven the thermostat got damaged!

datoofairy, Feb 12, 4:41am
Now I know why I put off cleaning it for so long *sigh*

magenta, Feb 12, 4:41am
If your oven has an element which is not visible you should not put tinfoil on the bottom.If it has an exposed element you can see, you can.Most newer stoves have an enclosed element which can be damaged if you use tinfoil. An electrician told me this.

datoofairy, Feb 12, 4:50am
It does have the enclosed element. So I guess I have damaged it.eekk!
I have taken the foil out now.Maybe later or tomorrow I will bake something else to see if it still works or if I have damaged it completely.
It never even crossed my mind that putting foil in the bottom was a bad idea. I've always lined the oven to make cleaning it easier :o(

rainrain1, Feb 12, 4:55am
I use the foil all the time with an enclosed element .Some recipes often need longer cooking than the recipe states, depending on your oven, try again with a longer cooking time

magenta, Feb 12, 5:04am
It would not be damaged after one batch of cooking.My mother's stove needed a couple of elements fixing on the stove and just mentioned that the oven was not baking pies and cakes evenly and that the tops of everything were getting cooked more quickly than the bottoms.He then siad that this was because of the layers of tinfoil in the bottom of the oven.She had been using it like this for over a year! It is still going fine so dont panic.

leebee35, Feb 12, 8:03am
I did this many years ago and nearly caused a fire.the whole bottom draw was burnt black.If I find the pic I will post it up.I was soo lucky I could smell burning but just thought it must have been a wooden spoon in the dishwasher.
The foil trays have warnings on them -wish I knew this.Many years later I have chucked out the stove as I felt it never worked properly.I say you might not need to tell landlord as you may not have done the damageI did!

bunny51, Feb 12, 8:35am
I have one of those oven trays onan oven rack on the lowest level. it makes hte oven easier to clean without harming the element

lindylambchops1, Feb 12, 8:37am
OMG!I put foil on the bottom of my oven & it blooming stuck there, it like burnt on the oven floor,Was very hard to remove, in fact some of it never came off.Above poster has good advice, bunny51