Clip top glass preserving jars

mazzy1, Feb 11, 9:46pm
I want to sterilise mine in the oven and boil the rubber rings in a pot. How on earth do you get the rings on the jars full of hot fruit without burning the hell out of your fingers! Is there some kind of trick that makes them glide on! Got too much to do for a trip to the burns unit!

uli, Feb 11, 9:52pm
No idea how you could do that. Very heavy rubber gloves maybe!

How about doing a cold pack (that is how I preserve everything) and then boil the whole lot either in the oven or in a pot!

245sam, Feb 11, 10:01pm
Tongs!Silicone gloves! - sorry I can't help you other than those two thoughts.:-))

mazzy1, Feb 11, 10:11pm
Even with the tongs it's a pain in the you know. You get one side of the ring on and the other one pops off. I really enjoy cooking and preserving but you wouldn't think so judging from the amount of swearing that comes out of the kitchen! I've never done cold pack method. This is for beetroot. I have used all my standard screwtop jars up for apricots and these ones are all I have left.

otterhound, Feb 11, 10:30pm
Kinda OT, but can anyone tell me where I can buy new rubber rings for those preserving jars - and especially replacement rubber rings for 1 litre glass bottles with the clip tops!Cheers=)

mazzy1, Feb 11, 10:36pm
I get my jars from arthur holmes, and they also have replacement rubber rings and tops. But have you tried Binn Inn! They sometimes have that kind of stuff don't they!

otterhound, Feb 11, 11:35pm
It's worth a try- thanks=)