Kumara

gaspodetwd, Feb 5, 6:25am
Aside from mash or roast can you do anything special with it!
I was hoping for a special sided dish featuring hot kumara.
Not with orange or anything like that - more a mushroom or cream and garlic combo.
Have you a good recipe like that!

bridget107, Feb 5, 6:29am
Have a good look through these recipes on this site! I find it really good :-) http://www.kumara.co.nz/recipes/salads/

bridget107, Feb 5, 6:31am

bridget107, Feb 5, 6:44am
Roasted kumara with a mushroom/garlic cream sauce http://readysteadycook.ten.com.au/6083.htm

davidt4, Feb 5, 6:53am
I have an apple and kumara dish on the stove right now.2 Royal Gala apple, 2 cooked kumara, salt and pepper, 50g butter, all cooking gently for about 20 minutes then will be crushed and served with a slow roasted pork belly and some silver beet.

Kumara plus apple or plum is a very good combination.

gaspodetwd, Feb 5, 6:57am
Many thanks!

bridget107, Feb 5, 6:58am
Yum, dinner at your house sounds amazing!

nauru, Feb 5, 8:06am
I do a curry with kumera. Will post the recipe if you want it.

gaspodetwd, Feb 5, 8:14am
Thanks - but no thanks. I hate curry!
Other curry fans might like it though.

finlight, Feb 5, 8:23am
yes i want curry one pls

bridget107, Feb 5, 8:27am
Please post kumara curry recipe :-)

davidt4, Feb 5, 8:45am
It was fabulous.The kumara and apple combination is a real winner, and the Freedom Farms pork belly cooked with onions, garlic, beer and herbs was perfect.

carolyn20, Feb 5, 9:08am
Hi this is delish: Sweet Potato Gratin:(serves 4-6).6 med sweet potato, 5Tchopped sage, 6 garlic cloves crushed, 2T sea salt, 1/2t ground black pepper, 250ml cream (hence special occasions).Cut washed & unpeeled sweet potatoes into 5mm discs.Mix with sage, garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange in deep dish by packing them tightly almost standing them so you get parallel lines across width or length of dish. Cover with foil, oven 200c for 45 mins. Then pour over cream and roast another 25mins uncovered.From my favourite cookbook 'Ottolenghi'

lythande1, Feb 5, 7:15pm
Treat it as you would any other root vege. I like them baked sometimes.

nauru, Feb 6, 8:51pm
You can use whatever mix of veges you like in this recipe. I use sometimes use courgete or pumpkin instead of the eggplant andcooked add chickpeas. You can also increase or decrease the amount of chilli flakes used.

Eggplant, Kumera and Butter Bean Curry
1 cup each sliced eggplant & cubed kumera
1 cup sliced butter beans - can use green beans instead
2 cl garlic chopped
1/2 teasp each cumin seeds, cumin powder, turmeric powder, ground coriander,1/2 curry powder
4-6 curry leaves and good pinch chilli flakes
1 teasp salt
1/2 cup stock
1 cup chopped spinach
1/2 -1 cup coconut cream
chopped fresh coiander and oil for cooking
Saute spices in roil until aromatic. Add chopped veges and cook 5 minutes. Adstock & salt and cook until veges are cooked through. Add spinach and stir then add coconut cream 1/2 cup at a time and stir until thickened. Add coriander before serving.

nauru, Feb 6, 8:51pm
You can use whatever mix of veges you like in this recipe. Isometimes use courgette or pumpkin instead of the eggplant and add cooked chickpeas. You can also increase or decrease the amount of chilli flakes used.

Eggplant, Kumera and Butter Bean Curry

1 cup each sliced eggplant & cubed kumera
1 cup sliced butter beans - can use green beans instead
2 cl garlic chopped
1/2 teasp each cumin seeds, cumin powder, turmeric powder, ground coriander,1/2 curry powder
4-6 curry leaves and good pinch chilli flakes
1 teasp salt
1/2 cup stock
1 cup chopped spinach
1/2 -1 cup coconut cream
chopped fresh coiander and oil for cooking
Mix spices together and saute in a little oil until aromatic. Add chopped veges and cook 5 minutes. Addstock & salt and cook until veges are cooked through. Add spinach and stir then add coconut cream 1/2 cup at a time and stir until thickened. Add coriander before serving. Serve with coconut rice.

bridget107, Feb 7, 9:21am
Looks good, thanks Nauru :-)

sooseque, Feb 8, 4:48am
Kumara in Pineapple Sauce

2 – 4 kumara depending on size
25 – 50 gms butter
1 – 2 tablespoons brown sugar
225gms crushed pineapple and syrup
1 tablespoon vinegar
salt

Melt butter in a small saucepan with pineapple & syrup, brown sugar
Vinegar and 1/4tsp salt.Peel kumara and slice, layer kumara and pineapple
Sauce in casserole dish seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper, cover
and bake 180C for about 1 hour until kumara is tender.