Whole grilled chicken

krames, Feb 1, 9:18am
How do you GRILL a WHOLE chicken? When a recipe says (well it's actually a special diet) "one whole grilled chicken" what would you think/do? Are you supposed to chop it into pieces & how long would it take to cook? Any ideas? Thanks

beebs, Feb 1, 7:32pm
when i read it , i imagined it split down the backbone and flattened and cooked whole, like 'road kill chicken' recipes that i have seen on here

davidt4, Jul 24, 11:52am
The easiest way is to spatchcock the chicken. You will need poultry shears or big strong scissors. Cut along each side of the backbone and use the back bone to make stock. Flatten the bird by putting it skin side up on a board, then press down firmly on the breastbone. It will flatten out and stay that way.

To make the bird easier to handle on the grill, push three wooden skewers (satay sticks are good) through the bird from side to side to keep it flat. This will make it easier to turn it when it is half cooked.

Coat the bird with whatever flavourings you need, e. g. olive oil, garlic and rosemary, and grill over medium heat for about 25 minutes each side.

I usually cut off the ends of the drumsticks and the wing tips as well and add to the stock pan.