Just a thought about bottling beetroot

gerry64, Jan 30, 3:27am
Instead of having it simmering away for an hour or so could I put it in the slow cooker would take longer but would be better than having a pot bubbling away in an already hot kitchen

peterlap1, Jan 30, 3:39am
My wife cooks beetroot in water, salted, covered, in the oven.

gerry64, Jan 30, 3:49am
hadnt thought of that method peter - its well worth doing

petal1955, Jan 30, 4:01am
Cook in the microwave.buy all same size beets.they will cook evenly.place in dish with a littlee water in the bottom. cover with cling wrap on high power for 10mins.then turn over beets and cook for a further 10 mins on high.Cool then peel.easy peasy !

gerry64, Jan 30, 4:02am
you are a gem petal

lurtz, Jan 30, 6:01am
Microwave. Agree with petal1955. So stress-less and energy saving.Unless, of course you are preserving them in a waterbath method, which perhaps, the wifeof Peterlat1 was doing. Of course, if the oven was on for other stuff needing lengthy cooking, then into the oven they would go.

i find that one medium sized beetroot, with a cross sliced across the top, then popped into a container andcovered in cling wrap with a little water -as petal suggests, will cook in three to four minutes. Maybe longer; depending on the size. Sometimes less. sometimes more.

lurtz, Jan 30, 6:03am
This is a rough guide only. I rarely cook just one beetroot. Generally a few at a time. All the best.